Oct 5, 2012, 10:42 AM EST
The University of North Carolina announced some great news on Thursday regarding the health of head basketball coach Roy Williams.
A biopsy of the tumor on Williams’ left kidney revealed that it was non-cancerous, and according to UNC professor of urology Dr. Eric Wallen the coach will not need to have it surgically removed.
“The result of the biopsy of the tumor on the left side is great news for Coach Williams and his family,” Wallen said in the statement. “He is recovering very well and we will continue to follow his progress.
“In the meantime, he can return to his normal schedule, including the team’s first practice on October 13th.”
The tumor on the left kidney was found to be an oncocytoma (which is pronounced ON-ko-sigh-TOE-muh), which is a non-cancerous tumor and the same as what was removed from Williams’ right kidney just over a week ago.
While it is good news that Williams, who has some major departures to address this season, has been cleared to resume his coaching duties the best news is that he’s been given a clean bill of health.
“Once again I want to say how overwhelmed my family and I are by the support and concern of so many former players, members of the Tar Heel family and friends and fellow coaches from around the country,” Williams said in the same statement.
“Saying I’m overwhelmed truly doesn’t give justice to how much I appreciate all their thoughts and good wishes. The support has been off the charts.
“The level of professionalism, compassion and care that the entire medical team at UNC Health Care provided to my family and me has been extraordinary. Dr. Wallen and his staff have helped us get through a difficult process better than I ever could have expected.
“I also want to thank my family, especially Wanda, Scott, Kim and Katie, and my staff and players, for helping me get through these last three and a half weeks. The degree to which their love and support helped me is something I will never be able to adequately express.”
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)