Oct 5, 2012, 10:42 AM EDT
The University of North Carolina announced some great news on Thursday regarding the health of head basketball coach Roy Williams.
A biopsy of the tumor on Williams’ left kidney revealed that it was non-cancerous, and according to UNC professor of urology Dr. Eric Wallen the coach will not need to have it surgically removed.
“The result of the biopsy of the tumor on the left side is great news for Coach Williams and his family,” Wallen said in the statement. “He is recovering very well and we will continue to follow his progress.
“In the meantime, he can return to his normal schedule, including the team’s first practice on October 13th.”
The tumor on the left kidney was found to be an oncocytoma (which is pronounced ON-ko-sigh-TOE-muh), which is a non-cancerous tumor and the same as what was removed from Williams’ right kidney just over a week ago.
While it is good news that Williams, who has some major departures to address this season, has been cleared to resume his coaching duties the best news is that he’s been given a clean bill of health.
“Once again I want to say how overwhelmed my family and I are by the support and concern of so many former players, members of the Tar Heel family and friends and fellow coaches from around the country,” Williams said in the same statement.
“Saying I’m overwhelmed truly doesn’t give justice to how much I appreciate all their thoughts and good wishes. The support has been off the charts.
“The level of professionalism, compassion and care that the entire medical team at UNC Health Care provided to my family and me has been extraordinary. Dr. Wallen and his staff have helped us get through a difficult process better than I ever could have expected.
“I also want to thank my family, especially Wanda, Scott, Kim and Katie, and my staff and players, for helping me get through these last three and a half weeks. The degree to which their love and support helped me is something I will never be able to adequately express.”
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)