Oct 5, 2012, 6:14 PM EDT
With the college basketball season less than two weeks again, UNLV received some bad news on Friday afternoon, as it was announced that Bryce Dejean-Jones will be out 4-6 weeks with a broken hand.
“We have all seen how hard Bryce has worked to get ready for the season,” said head coach Dave Rice in a press release. “I know he will work equally hard to be ready to play when he is cleared from this injury. This is adversity for Bryce and for our team and we will all support him as he goes through this.”
According to the report, the 6-foot-5 Dejean-Jones, broke the third and fourth metacarpal bones in his left hand during a team workout on Thursday.
Dejean-Jones was slated to be a starter this season for the Runnin’ Rebels after sitting out the entire 2011-2012 season, following a transfer from USC.
As a freshman with the Trojans, Dejean-Jones averaged 7.6 points and 2.6 rebounds per game.
In mid-June, UNLV landed a late commitment from forward Savon Goodman. That pickup could be big, as the 6-foot-6 forward may be leaned upon, while Dejean-Jones is sidelined. According to Taylor Bern of the Las Vegas Sun, Goodman has looked good so far and could be a suitable replacement until Dejean-Jones recovers.
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 3
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 1
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 11
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (11)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)