Oct 5, 2012, 6:14 PM EDT
With the college basketball season less than two weeks again, UNLV received some bad news on Friday afternoon, as it was announced that Bryce Dejean-Jones will be out 4-6 weeks with a broken hand.
“We have all seen how hard Bryce has worked to get ready for the season,” said head coach Dave Rice in a press release. “I know he will work equally hard to be ready to play when he is cleared from this injury. This is adversity for Bryce and for our team and we will all support him as he goes through this.”
According to the report, the 6-foot-5 Dejean-Jones, broke the third and fourth metacarpal bones in his left hand during a team workout on Thursday.
Dejean-Jones was slated to be a starter this season for the Runnin’ Rebels after sitting out the entire 2011-2012 season, following a transfer from USC.
As a freshman with the Trojans, Dejean-Jones averaged 7.6 points and 2.6 rebounds per game.
In mid-June, UNLV landed a late commitment from forward Savon Goodman. That pickup could be big, as the 6-foot-6 forward may be leaned upon, while Dejean-Jones is sidelined. According to Taylor Bern of the Las Vegas Sun, Goodman has looked good so far and could be a suitable replacement until Dejean-Jones recovers.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)