Oct 5, 2012, 6:14 PM EST
With the college basketball season less than two weeks again, UNLV received some bad news on Friday afternoon, as it was announced that Bryce Dejean-Jones will be out 4-6 weeks with a broken hand.
“We have all seen how hard Bryce has worked to get ready for the season,” said head coach Dave Rice in a press release. “I know he will work equally hard to be ready to play when he is cleared from this injury. This is adversity for Bryce and for our team and we will all support him as he goes through this.”
According to the report, the 6-foot-5 Dejean-Jones, broke the third and fourth metacarpal bones in his left hand during a team workout on Thursday.
Dejean-Jones was slated to be a starter this season for the Runnin’ Rebels after sitting out the entire 2011-2012 season, following a transfer from USC.
As a freshman with the Trojans, Dejean-Jones averaged 7.6 points and 2.6 rebounds per game.
In mid-June, UNLV landed a late commitment from forward Savon Goodman. That pickup could be big, as the 6-foot-6 forward may be leaned upon, while Dejean-Jones is sidelined. According to Taylor Bern of the Las Vegas Sun, Goodman has looked good so far and could be a suitable replacement until Dejean-Jones recovers.
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (4)