Oct 6, 2012, 11:46 AM EST
For the Big East, the deal that emerges from negotiations over the next few months will be the foundation of long-term stability for a conference that has see its share of shake-ups.
New commissioner Mike Aresco, a former television executive, was installed to be the face of the negotiations, and the conference is looking forward to striking a deal.
The Big East is currently in an exclusive negotiating window with ESPN, who holds the conference’s rights, but Aresco says a deal is “not anywhere near done,” according to the Chicago Tribune. That window runs through October.
After that point, the conference would be able to open up negotiations with other networks, many of whom have expressed interest, including NBC.
“We need to do a good TV/media deal,” Aresco told the Tribune. “We need to do a deal that gives our schools the resources they need, that gives them the confidence financially, the stability they need. And also the exposure they need.
“We want to make sure most of our games are televised nationally or quasi-nationally on the best platforms available. We want to make sure we’re leaders in new media, that’s extremely important. We want to make sure we’re at the cutting edge and doing all the right things.”
At the time of Aresco’s hiring, the consensus was the he was a near-perfect fit for the job, with the conference needing a strong media deal and his experience in television contracts seeming to complement those needs.
To read the entire report, click here.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- You Make The Call: Did Marcus Paige get fouled on North Carolina’s last possession? (17)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Big Ten looking into idea of making freshmen ineligible for competition in football, men’s basketball (11)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (11)