Oct 6, 2012, 9:48 AM EDT
Former Miami athletic director Shawn Eichorst will be leaving the Hurricanes to accept the same position at Nebraska, the Cornhusker athletic department announced Thursday.
“After consideration of a large number of candidates, I was impressed with Shawn’s credentials and experience but more importantly his respect for and appreciation of the tradition of the Nebraska athletics program,” Nebraska Chancellor Harvey Perlman said in a statement.
“He expressed from the onset his hope to draw on the experience and knowledge of Tom Osborne and the rest of the current staff in working to continue the department’s success both on and off the field.”
Eichorst had been with Miami since April 2011. Just four months into Eichorst’s tenure with the Hurricanes, in August 2011, news broke of the school’s involvement with a booster who reportedly provided illegal benefits to recruits and players.
Eichorst now moves on to replace Osborne, who announced his retirement last month, effective Jan. 1.
“It is truly an honor and privilege to be a part of one of the great universities in America and one of the strongest athletic departments in all of college sports who has the welfare of its student-athletes at the heart of everything they do,” Eichorst said in a release.
“I am humbled by both the responsibility and opportunities that lie ahead and I hope to carry on the rich tradition of Husker excellence set by Coach Osborne and so many others.”
Nebraska basketball is entering its first season under new head coach Tim Miles, who comes to the Cornhuskers from Colorado State.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 1
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)