Oct 6, 2012, 7:49 PM EST
John Calipari just pulled off another amazing recruiting coup, getting the Harrison twins to commit to Kentucky as part of yet another blue-chip, one and done recruiting class. It’s easy to think that there’s no room for the merely great amongst the constellation of elite players, let alone the fairly average. But, buried in the weekend’s football-heavy news cycle was the information that bench warmers Brian Long and Sam Malone have been awarded scholarships by John Calipari for the upcoming 2012-13 season.
Coach Cal reached into his infinitely spacious Bag of Holding to reward the two practice players, including academic star Long, who plumped up the program’s APR with a sizzling 3.9 grade point average last season.
“It shows you’ve got to work hard and you’ve got to continue to keep working hard,” Long told the Lexington Herald-Leader. “And you’ve got to be successful on the floor and off the floor and in school. There’s a lot of factors, but it all pays off if you work hard.”
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)