Oct 6, 2012, 7:49 PM EDT
John Calipari just pulled off another amazing recruiting coup, getting the Harrison twins to commit to Kentucky as part of yet another blue-chip, one and done recruiting class. It’s easy to think that there’s no room for the merely great amongst the constellation of elite players, let alone the fairly average. But, buried in the weekend’s football-heavy news cycle was the information that bench warmers Brian Long and Sam Malone have been awarded scholarships by John Calipari for the upcoming 2012-13 season.
Coach Cal reached into his infinitely spacious Bag of Holding to reward the two practice players, including academic star Long, who plumped up the program’s APR with a sizzling 3.9 grade point average last season.
“It shows you’ve got to work hard and you’ve got to continue to keep working hard,” Long told the Lexington Herald-Leader. “And you’ve got to be successful on the floor and off the floor and in school. There’s a lot of factors, but it all pays off if you work hard.”
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)