Oct 7, 2012, 11:38 AM EST
In a move to keep up with facilities upgrades within the Big East, Georgetown is moving closer to building a new-age, on-campus athletic center, the Washington Post is reporting.
According to the report, fundraising is now the only obstacle that remains.
“I’m 100 percent certain it will happen in the very near future,” Thompson told the paper Friday. “A lot has changed. All the community, zoning and town issues and hurdles — we are past those. So now it’s just a question of getting the money and putting the shovel in the ground.”
The $60 million plan calls for a 130,000 square foot facility, which would be built next to the aging McDonough Arena.
“It will help the whole athletic department,” Thompson said. “It’s something that’s needed. The Georgetown community knows it’s needed, and it’s on the way.”
Georgetown finished last season with an overall record of 24-9, including 12-6 in the Big East. The Hoyas were eliminated by NC State in the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament.
With these new facilities on the way, it can only help recruiting, though Thompson still pulled in a strong 2012 class and is off to a good start in 2013, as well.
For 2012, the Hoyas welcome four players, led by Oak Hill (Va.) product D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera and Stephen Domingo, who reclassified from 2013 to join the team this season.
For 2013, sharpshooting forward Reggie Cameron committed to Georgetown last month.
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate 5
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Teams 1
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 2
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)