Oct 7, 2012, 11:38 AM EST
In a move to keep up with facilities upgrades within the Big East, Georgetown is moving closer to building a new-age, on-campus athletic center, the Washington Post is reporting.
According to the report, fundraising is now the only obstacle that remains.
“I’m 100 percent certain it will happen in the very near future,” Thompson told the paper Friday. “A lot has changed. All the community, zoning and town issues and hurdles — we are past those. So now it’s just a question of getting the money and putting the shovel in the ground.”
The $60 million plan calls for a 130,000 square foot facility, which would be built next to the aging McDonough Arena.
“It will help the whole athletic department,” Thompson said. “It’s something that’s needed. The Georgetown community knows it’s needed, and it’s on the way.”
Georgetown finished last season with an overall record of 24-9, including 12-6 in the Big East. The Hoyas were eliminated by NC State in the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament.
With these new facilities on the way, it can only help recruiting, though Thompson still pulled in a strong 2012 class and is off to a good start in 2013, as well.
For 2012, the Hoyas welcome four players, led by Oak Hill (Va.) product D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera and Stephen Domingo, who reclassified from 2013 to join the team this season.
For 2013, sharpshooting forward Reggie Cameron committed to Georgetown last month.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 2
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)