Oct 7, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
In a move to keep up with facilities upgrades within the Big East, Georgetown is moving closer to building a new-age, on-campus athletic center, the Washington Post is reporting.
According to the report, fundraising is now the only obstacle that remains.
“I’m 100 percent certain it will happen in the very near future,” Thompson told the paper Friday. “A lot has changed. All the community, zoning and town issues and hurdles — we are past those. So now it’s just a question of getting the money and putting the shovel in the ground.”
The $60 million plan calls for a 130,000 square foot facility, which would be built next to the aging McDonough Arena.
“It will help the whole athletic department,” Thompson said. “It’s something that’s needed. The Georgetown community knows it’s needed, and it’s on the way.”
Georgetown finished last season with an overall record of 24-9, including 12-6 in the Big East. The Hoyas were eliminated by NC State in the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament.
With these new facilities on the way, it can only help recruiting, though Thompson still pulled in a strong 2012 class and is off to a good start in 2013, as well.
For 2012, the Hoyas welcome four players, led by Oak Hill (Va.) product D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera and Stephen Domingo, who reclassified from 2013 to join the team this season.
For 2013, sharpshooting forward Reggie Cameron committed to Georgetown last month.
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 0
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Bruce Pearl gets welcomed by Auburn team, students after NCAA show-cause ends (VIDEO) 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (3)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)