Oct 7, 2012, 11:38 AM EST
In a move to keep up with facilities upgrades within the Big East, Georgetown is moving closer to building a new-age, on-campus athletic center, the Washington Post is reporting.
According to the report, fundraising is now the only obstacle that remains.
“I’m 100 percent certain it will happen in the very near future,” Thompson told the paper Friday. “A lot has changed. All the community, zoning and town issues and hurdles — we are past those. So now it’s just a question of getting the money and putting the shovel in the ground.”
The $60 million plan calls for a 130,000 square foot facility, which would be built next to the aging McDonough Arena.
“It will help the whole athletic department,” Thompson said. “It’s something that’s needed. The Georgetown community knows it’s needed, and it’s on the way.”
Georgetown finished last season with an overall record of 24-9, including 12-6 in the Big East. The Hoyas were eliminated by NC State in the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament.
With these new facilities on the way, it can only help recruiting, though Thompson still pulled in a strong 2012 class and is off to a good start in 2013, as well.
For 2012, the Hoyas welcome four players, led by Oak Hill (Va.) product D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera and Stephen Domingo, who reclassified from 2013 to join the team this season.
For 2013, sharpshooting forward Reggie Cameron committed to Georgetown last month.
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 0
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)