Oct 7, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
In a move to keep up with facilities upgrades within the Big East, Georgetown is moving closer to building a new-age, on-campus athletic center, the Washington Post is reporting.
According to the report, fundraising is now the only obstacle that remains.
“I’m 100 percent certain it will happen in the very near future,” Thompson told the paper Friday. “A lot has changed. All the community, zoning and town issues and hurdles — we are past those. So now it’s just a question of getting the money and putting the shovel in the ground.”
The $60 million plan calls for a 130,000 square foot facility, which would be built next to the aging McDonough Arena.
“It will help the whole athletic department,” Thompson said. “It’s something that’s needed. The Georgetown community knows it’s needed, and it’s on the way.”
Georgetown finished last season with an overall record of 24-9, including 12-6 in the Big East. The Hoyas were eliminated by NC State in the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament.
With these new facilities on the way, it can only help recruiting, though Thompson still pulled in a strong 2012 class and is off to a good start in 2013, as well.
For 2012, the Hoyas welcome four players, led by Oak Hill (Va.) product D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera and Stephen Domingo, who reclassified from 2013 to join the team this season.
For 2013, sharpshooting forward Reggie Cameron committed to Georgetown last month.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)