Oct 7, 2012, 10:51 PM EDT
With the NCAA still yet to clear freshman guard Shabazz Muhammad the last thing UCLA needed heading into the start of practices was another personnel hit.
But that’s what Ben Howland will have to deal with, as the school announced on Sunday that junior guard Tyler Lamb will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.
The procedure will sideline Lamb anywhere from four to six weeks, which means that the Mater Dei product will likely be back for the majority of the Bruins’ non-conference schedule.
“I’m very optimistic that Tyler will be back in four weeks,” head coach Ben Howland said in the release. “He’s going to be very diligent with his rehab, and we are hopeful that this will be a quick and successful procedure.
“He had similar surgery on this knee the summer before his freshman year, and he quickly recovered from that.”
From a chemistry standpoint this shouldn’t have an adverse impact on UCLA thanks to their offseason trip to China.
In three games Lamb averaged 10.3 points and 3.3 rebounds per game, and his versatility makes Lamb a key figure in the UCLA rotation this season.
Lamb’s first surgery on the knee came in July 2010 and he missed just four weeks, hence Howland’s optimism in regards to the recovery timeframe.
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)