Oct 7, 2012, 10:51 PM EDT
With the NCAA still yet to clear freshman guard Shabazz Muhammad the last thing UCLA needed heading into the start of practices was another personnel hit.
But that’s what Ben Howland will have to deal with, as the school announced on Sunday that junior guard Tyler Lamb will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.
The procedure will sideline Lamb anywhere from four to six weeks, which means that the Mater Dei product will likely be back for the majority of the Bruins’ non-conference schedule.
“I’m very optimistic that Tyler will be back in four weeks,” head coach Ben Howland said in the release. “He’s going to be very diligent with his rehab, and we are hopeful that this will be a quick and successful procedure.
“He had similar surgery on this knee the summer before his freshman year, and he quickly recovered from that.”
From a chemistry standpoint this shouldn’t have an adverse impact on UCLA thanks to their offseason trip to China.
In three games Lamb averaged 10.3 points and 3.3 rebounds per game, and his versatility makes Lamb a key figure in the UCLA rotation this season.
Lamb’s first surgery on the knee came in July 2010 and he missed just four weeks, hence Howland’s optimism in regards to the recovery timeframe.
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 0
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 1
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 3
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 20
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 9
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 8
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (85)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (22)