Oct 7, 2012, 10:51 PM EDT
With the NCAA still yet to clear freshman guard Shabazz Muhammad the last thing UCLA needed heading into the start of practices was another personnel hit.
But that’s what Ben Howland will have to deal with, as the school announced on Sunday that junior guard Tyler Lamb will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.
The procedure will sideline Lamb anywhere from four to six weeks, which means that the Mater Dei product will likely be back for the majority of the Bruins’ non-conference schedule.
“I’m very optimistic that Tyler will be back in four weeks,” head coach Ben Howland said in the release. “He’s going to be very diligent with his rehab, and we are hopeful that this will be a quick and successful procedure.
“He had similar surgery on this knee the summer before his freshman year, and he quickly recovered from that.”
From a chemistry standpoint this shouldn’t have an adverse impact on UCLA thanks to their offseason trip to China.
In three games Lamb averaged 10.3 points and 3.3 rebounds per game, and his versatility makes Lamb a key figure in the UCLA rotation this season.
Lamb’s first surgery on the knee came in July 2010 and he missed just four weeks, hence Howland’s optimism in regards to the recovery timeframe.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 0
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)