Oct 7, 2012, 11:57 PM EST
The reigning MAAC tournament champion Loyola (MD) Greyhounds were due to return four starters from last year’s team, which made the program’s first NCAA tournament appearance since 1994.
But that number dropped to three on Sunday, as it was reported by the Baltimore Sun that the school suspended sophomore point guard R.J. Williams for a violation of team rules.
According to the school Williams, who averaged 4.0 points and 2.6 assists last season, won’t be able to return to game action until January 17 against Marist (first game of the spring semester, which begins on January 14).
“He is still on the team, he is still practicing, we are not going to turn our back on R.J.,” head coach Jimmy Patsos told Don Markus of the Sun.
Patsos did note that the suspension had nothing to do with academics, and according to the paper athletic director Jim Paquette cited federal student privacy laws in refusing to disclose a more descriptive reason for the suspension.
But while it does hurt to lose a starter, Loyola doesn’t lack for options when it comes to accounting for the loss of Williams.
Junior guard Dylon Cormier finished second on the team in scoring last season (13.4 ppg) while also averaging 1.8 assists per game, and senior Robert Olson (11.1 ppg, 1.9 apg) is a capable of making things happen as well.
Of the two Cormier is the one likely to slide over into a primary ball-handler role, and newcomers such as Jarred Jones, Eric Laster and Damian Rashford should have an opportunity to earn playing time on the wing.
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 5
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)