Oct 7, 2012, 9:47 AM EDT
President Obama likely won’t need much help winning the youth vote in November’s presidential election, but his decision to meet with the Wisconsin basketball team could very well have secured the votes of 16 young men in the Badger State.
After a Twitter campaign by forward Zach Bohannon and some convenient connections to the Obama campaign, the Wisconsin team was able to score a few minutes with Obama before a campaign stop in Madison this week.
The players only got close to five minutes with Obama (and a shoutout to start his day’s speech at the rally), but the president was able to flex his basketball intelligence, according to Yahoo!.
“I couldn’t believe it,” Bohannon told the site. “He said, ‘Now I’ve got a challenge for you. We all know you guys can win at home. The true test is whether you guys can win on the road.’ We’re like, ‘Holy crap, he knows about our home-court advantage?'”
Obama’s ties to the college game are deep, with brother-in-law Craig Robinson at the head of the Oregon State program. He has also been known to attend games, including the First Four games in Dayton last season with British Prime Minister David Cameron.
As for Bohannon, he aspires to be a politician after basketball and, if his ability to arrange a meeting with the president on short notice is any indication, he might understand the power of social media just as much as the famously savvy Obama campaign.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)