Oct 7, 2012, 9:47 AM EDT
President Obama likely won’t need much help winning the youth vote in November’s presidential election, but his decision to meet with the Wisconsin basketball team could very well have secured the votes of 16 young men in the Badger State.
After a Twitter campaign by forward Zach Bohannon and some convenient connections to the Obama campaign, the Wisconsin team was able to score a few minutes with Obama before a campaign stop in Madison this week.
The players only got close to five minutes with Obama (and a shoutout to start his day’s speech at the rally), but the president was able to flex his basketball intelligence, according to Yahoo!.
“I couldn’t believe it,” Bohannon told the site. “He said, ‘Now I’ve got a challenge for you. We all know you guys can win at home. The true test is whether you guys can win on the road.’ We’re like, ‘Holy crap, he knows about our home-court advantage?'”
Obama’s ties to the college game are deep, with brother-in-law Craig Robinson at the head of the Oregon State program. He has also been known to attend games, including the First Four games in Dayton last season with British Prime Minister David Cameron.
As for Bohannon, he aspires to be a politician after basketball and, if his ability to arrange a meeting with the president on short notice is any indication, he might understand the power of social media just as much as the famously savvy Obama campaign.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)