Oct 8, 2012, 11:56 AM EDT
It has been a busy summer for Frank Martin.
After taking over at South Carolina, he hit the recruiting trail hard and has gotten some impressive returns. Desmond Ringer, a 6-foot-9 center from the Class of 2013, committed over the summer, as did four-star guard Marcus Stroman, a member of the Class of 2014. The big news came just last month, as Martin added a commitment from Sindarius Thornwell, a five-star guard that was recruited by a handful of top 25 programs.
Martin’s latest addition will be one that many Gamecock fans recognize.
Jordan McKie, a 6-foot-3 guard that live in Columbia, SC, committed to the Gamecocks over the weekend.
“It feels real good to finally say I’ve committed to play at a high level, which is one of things I’ve always wanted to do,” McKie told Gamecock Anthem. “I’m excited to be a Gamecock!”
McKie is the son of former Gamecock guard BJ McKie, also known as South Carolina’s all-time leading scorer and a player who has had his number retired by the program.
“I don’t feel any pressure. My dad was a great player at USC, but now it’s time for me to show what I can do,” McKie said. “[South] Carolina has always been in my blood. I remember going to games when they had a lot of success, and I want to get them back to that point.”
Hopefully, Justin’s teams have more success than his dad’s; BJ was a member of the 1997 club that lost as a No. 2 seed to Coppin State in the first round of the NCAA tournament.
Justin had also received interest from programs like Murray State and Wichita State.
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 7
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 4
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)