Oct 8, 2012, 9:22 PM EDT
Trent Johnson landed his first big recruiting coup as head coach of TCU on Monday with the signing of Karviar Shepherd.
The news was first tweeted out by ESPN.com’s Reggie Rankin.
“Breaking News: ESPN 100 #46 overall Center Karviar Shepherd is calling Trent Johnson right now he is headed to TCU!!” Rankin tweeted.
The no. 46 player in the 2013 class according to ESPN, Shepherd is a Dallas-area prospect out of Prime Prep Academy. The 6-9, 215-pounder also had offers from Texas A&M, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas.
“I picked TCU because it was close to home and I really like the coaching staff,” Shepherd told ESPN. “They really do a great job of improving bigs like they did at Stanford with the Lopez twins.”
Have to think that TCU’s move to the Big 12 had a lot to do with this commitment. Johnson has proven his worth as a recruiter at Nevada, Stanford and through his brief stint at LSU, and it helps to be in a conference that at least highlights its basketball programs as an equal to its football teams.
It was a surprise to a lot of people when Johnson left a job at an SEC school in LSU to take over TCU, a team that hasn’t sniffed the NCAA Tournament since 1998. In order to make the switch worth it, he was going to have to win early and often, and you could say this is the first win of his tenure, keeping one of the top players in the area, around.
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)