Oct 9, 2012, 7:38 PM EDT
Florida has added a transfer to their roster, and his name will probably sound familiar.
Billy Donovan, the son and namesake of the Florida head coach, will be joining the program as a walk-on after spending two seasons playing at Catholic University, a D-III program in Washington DC. He averaged 5.9 points as a sophomore.
“Obviously, I’ve been around my dad and Florida [basketball] a long time, but now I’ll be a part of it all as a member of the team. It’s exciting,” the younger Donovan told GatorZone.com. “I’m really still processing it all.”
According to GatorZone, the younger Donovan initially headed to DC with an eye on a career in politics, even interning at the Department of Homeland Security. But with a basketball career that was far from embarrassing, and anything-but headed for the professional ranks, he decided to head back to Gainesville to try and follow in his dad’s footsteps as a coach.
Donovan will have to sit out the 2012-2013 season with fellow transfers Dorian Finney-Smith and Damontre Harris.
“Obviously, it’s great to have him back,” said Billy Donovan, the coach. “Growing up here, he loved Florida and loved Gainesville, but being my son I think he felt he needed to go off on his own and experience his own thing — and I was fine with that. I actually tried to talk him into staying there. But I never wanted it to be like I was telling him what to do career-wise. I think he needs to figure that out on his own. My job, my wife’s job, is to be supportive and help put him in the best situation for him to pursue what he wants to pursue.”
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Ron Baker was the best college player for Team USA at Pan-Am Games (2)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble (2)