Oct 9, 2012, 7:38 PM EST
Florida has added a transfer to their roster, and his name will probably sound familiar.
Billy Donovan, the son and namesake of the Florida head coach, will be joining the program as a walk-on after spending two seasons playing at Catholic University, a D-III program in Washington DC. He averaged 5.9 points as a sophomore.
“Obviously, I’ve been around my dad and Florida [basketball] a long time, but now I’ll be a part of it all as a member of the team. It’s exciting,” the younger Donovan told GatorZone.com. “I’m really still processing it all.”
According to GatorZone, the younger Donovan initially headed to DC with an eye on a career in politics, even interning at the Department of Homeland Security. But with a basketball career that was far from embarrassing, and anything-but headed for the professional ranks, he decided to head back to Gainesville to try and follow in his dad’s footsteps as a coach.
Donovan will have to sit out the 2012-2013 season with fellow transfers Dorian Finney-Smith and Damontre Harris.
“Obviously, it’s great to have him back,” said Billy Donovan, the coach. “Growing up here, he loved Florida and loved Gainesville, but being my son I think he felt he needed to go off on his own and experience his own thing — and I was fine with that. I actually tried to talk him into staying there. But I never wanted it to be like I was telling him what to do career-wise. I think he needs to figure that out on his own. My job, my wife’s job, is to be supportive and help put him in the best situation for him to pursue what he wants to pursue.”
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 5
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)