Oct 9, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
Utah Valley University and Cal State-Bakersfield have accepted an invitation from the Western Athletic Conference to join the conference in time for the start of the 2013-14 season.
“Both are quality institutions and bring high level competitive and academic qualities to the 2013-14 membership,” interim commissioner Jeff Hurd said in a release. “We are excited to begin the process of rebuilding the WAC and will continue to work to reestablish the league as one of the top Division I conferences in the West.”
The WAC is in the midst of a major transition, set to become a non-football playing Division I conference at the same time that CSBU and UVU are to join the league in 2013.
For Cal State-Bakersfield, the Roadrunners will no longer be a Division I independent, bringing at least 13 of its 18 sports programs to the WAC. The school’s men’s basketball team finished 16-15 last season.
Utah Valley University is only three years removed from having become a Division I institution, having been a member of the Great West Conference since becoming a D-I school in 2009. They had previously been identified as a junior college.
The Wolverines finished 20-13 last season.
“CSU Bakersfield and Utah Valley University accepting our invitation to join the WAC is great news as our conference looks to a very promising future,” Seattle University president Stephen Sundborg said in a statement.
“These two fine institutions are making significant investments in their athletic programs, and we look forward to the many ways they will help the WAC build on its great tradition and national reputation.”
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)