Oct 9, 2012, 2:52 PM EST
The men’s basketball team at Texas Southern University has been banned from the 2012-13 postseason, following an NCAA investigation that revealed “recruiting violations, academic improprieties, the use of ineligible athletes and exceeding scholarship limits,” the Associated Press is reporting.
Violations cited by the NCAA cover 13 sports, including the school’s football program.
The TSU men’s basketball program, which is entering its first season under interim head coach Mike Davis, recently parted ways with coach Tony Harvey (pictured at right), who stepped down in July.
The NCAA Division I Infractions Committee named Texas Southern a “double repeat violator,” meaning that the school had on-campus violations or been on probation for 16 of the past 20 seasons.
According to the NCAA’s report, self-imposed sanctions that were to be administered by the school did not take place, worsening the new sanctions handed down this week.
”That’s a unique circumstance,” Greg Sankey, a member of the infractions committee and the chief operating officer of the Southeastern Conference, told the AP. ”That may be the most notable piece of the institution’s past circumstances.”
Of the violations noted by the committee, some of the more serious infractions took place in the basketball program. Among them were the actions of the former coach, Harvey, who offered two scholarships that were unavailable because of failure to meet academic standards and “provided false or misleading information during the investigation.”
Harvey and Texas Southern also “did not adhere to restrictions on practice time, which were imposed after the team fell short on its academic progress report,” according to the AP.
TSU finished last season with an overall record of 15-18, including 12-6 in the SWAC. The team begins its first season under Davis on Nov. 11 against Boise State.
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)