Oct 9, 2012, 9:03 PM EDT
You guys just can’t buy a break.
Remember, we’re just three years removed from a scandal that earned its own Wikipedia page — because that’s when you know it’s serious — where Binghamton players were arrested, grades were given fraudulently and athletes were blackballed from all-conference teams. There was even a two-year, three-month sentence in a Serbian prison (that sounds terrifying) involved.
Once Binghamton hoops cleaned house, the program was turned over to Mark Macon. After kicking a player off the team early in the year for multiple arrests, Macon managed to field a team that went 2-29 last season. He was fired in April and Tommy Dempsey was given the job.
Two members of the Binghamton University men’s basketball have been suspended from the team following their arrests early Sunday morning outside Flashbacks on State Street. Senior Javon Ralling and freshman Jordan Reed were both charged with disorderly conduct, and Ralling was additionally charged with resisting arrest.
The athletic department released a statement Monday afternoon announcing the suspensions, which were enacted immediately in accordance to the department’s policy. The suspensions prohibit Ralling and Reed from participation in any team activity, aside from academic services provided through the Student-Athlete Success Center, until further notice.
In the statement, which was sent out via email, Binghamton University Athletic Director Patrick Elliott is quoted as saying, “We are aware of the situation and regret that it occurred. We will continue to work with law enforcement and the student-athletes to gather information and understand what happened.”
Ay, yi, yi.
It’s seriously that not difficult to avoid getting arrested. Binghamton hoops is approaching Urban-Meyer-at-Florida levels.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)