Oct 9, 2012, 9:03 PM EDT
You guys just can’t buy a break.
Remember, we’re just three years removed from a scandal that earned its own Wikipedia page — because that’s when you know it’s serious — where Binghamton players were arrested, grades were given fraudulently and athletes were blackballed from all-conference teams. There was even a two-year, three-month sentence in a Serbian prison (that sounds terrifying) involved.
Once Binghamton hoops cleaned house, the program was turned over to Mark Macon. After kicking a player off the team early in the year for multiple arrests, Macon managed to field a team that went 2-29 last season. He was fired in April and Tommy Dempsey was given the job.
Two members of the Binghamton University men’s basketball have been suspended from the team following their arrests early Sunday morning outside Flashbacks on State Street. Senior Javon Ralling and freshman Jordan Reed were both charged with disorderly conduct, and Ralling was additionally charged with resisting arrest.
The athletic department released a statement Monday afternoon announcing the suspensions, which were enacted immediately in accordance to the department’s policy. The suspensions prohibit Ralling and Reed from participation in any team activity, aside from academic services provided through the Student-Athlete Success Center, until further notice.
In the statement, which was sent out via email, Binghamton University Athletic Director Patrick Elliott is quoted as saying, “We are aware of the situation and regret that it occurred. We will continue to work with law enforcement and the student-athletes to gather information and understand what happened.”
Ay, yi, yi.
It’s seriously that not difficult to avoid getting arrested. Binghamton hoops is approaching Urban-Meyer-at-Florida levels.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte