Oct 10, 2012, 8:38 PM EDT
We all love to joke about the ridiculous rules that the NCAA has included in their rulebook, but this one may take the cake:
Question: May a coach take a photo and use software (e.g., Instagram, Photoshop, Camera Awesome, Camera+,) to enhance the content of the photo (e.g., changed color of photo to sepia tones or add content to the photograph), and send it to a prospective student-athlete as an attachment it to an email or direct social media message?
Answer: No, a photograph that has been altered or staged for a recruiting purpose cannot be sent to a prospective student-athlete.
I get the rule. You’re not allowed to alter pictures and send them off to a recruit. You can’t photo shop them into a picture on the bench. You can’t add text to the picture. You can’t do anything to change the photo specifically for a recruiting purpose, even if that rule, in and of itself, is kind of ridiculous.
But to eliminate instagram?
To disallow running a photo through a filter that adds sepia tones?
I mean, I feel like this is kind of stating the obvious at this point, but don’t they have more important things to concern themselves with? Like, oh, I don’t know, Graham Spanier or Shabazz Muhammad or the cesspool that is high-level recruiting in both football and basketball?
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 0
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 0
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 2
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)