Oct 10, 2012, 8:38 PM EDT
We all love to joke about the ridiculous rules that the NCAA has included in their rulebook, but this one may take the cake:
Question: May a coach take a photo and use software (e.g., Instagram, Photoshop, Camera Awesome, Camera+,) to enhance the content of the photo (e.g., changed color of photo to sepia tones or add content to the photograph), and send it to a prospective student-athlete as an attachment it to an email or direct social media message?
Answer: No, a photograph that has been altered or staged for a recruiting purpose cannot be sent to a prospective student-athlete.
I get the rule. You’re not allowed to alter pictures and send them off to a recruit. You can’t photo shop them into a picture on the bench. You can’t add text to the picture. You can’t do anything to change the photo specifically for a recruiting purpose, even if that rule, in and of itself, is kind of ridiculous.
But to eliminate instagram?
To disallow running a photo through a filter that adds sepia tones?
I mean, I feel like this is kind of stating the obvious at this point, but don’t they have more important things to concern themselves with? Like, oh, I don’t know, Graham Spanier or Shabazz Muhammad or the cesspool that is high-level recruiting in both football and basketball?
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along