Oct 10, 2012, 8:38 PM EST
We all love to joke about the ridiculous rules that the NCAA has included in their rulebook, but this one may take the cake:
Question: May a coach take a photo and use software (e.g., Instagram, Photoshop, Camera Awesome, Camera+,) to enhance the content of the photo (e.g., changed color of photo to sepia tones or add content to the photograph), and send it to a prospective student-athlete as an attachment it to an email or direct social media message?
Answer: No, a photograph that has been altered or staged for a recruiting purpose cannot be sent to a prospective student-athlete.
I get the rule. You’re not allowed to alter pictures and send them off to a recruit. You can’t photo shop them into a picture on the bench. You can’t add text to the picture. You can’t do anything to change the photo specifically for a recruiting purpose, even if that rule, in and of itself, is kind of ridiculous.
But to eliminate instagram?
To disallow running a photo through a filter that adds sepia tones?
I mean, I feel like this is kind of stating the obvious at this point, but don’t they have more important things to concern themselves with? Like, oh, I don’t know, Graham Spanier or Shabazz Muhammad or the cesspool that is high-level recruiting in both football and basketball?
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 0
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)