Oct 10, 2012, 4:14 PM EDT
Just two days away from the start of team practices to begin the 2012-13 season, UMBC coach Randy Monroe has resigned.
“We appreciate all that Coach Monroe did for our basketball program and our community during his long tenure at UMBC,” UMBC athletic director Charles Brown said in a statement. “We wish him nothing but success in his future endeavors.”
UMBC had been under Monroe’s watch for the past eight seasons, with the coach amassing an overall record of 85-159. Prior to becoming the head coach, Monroe served as an assistant at UMBC for 10 seasons.
Monroe’s only winning season as head coach of the team came in 2007-08. That season, the Retrievers finished 24-9, winning the America East regular season and tournament titles and securing a berth in the NCAA tournament.
To replace Monroe on an interim basis, assistant Aki Thomas takes over as the head of the program.
“Aki brings an excellent playing and coaching background to the position,” Brown said in the release. “He has strong communication skills and will fit into our program in a very positive way. I am confident that he will be able to support our student-athletes during this time of transition. I am excited about this year’s men’s basketball team and feel that we can compete for the America East Conference title.”
Over the past three seasons, UMBC has gone 13-77 overall. They finished last season with a 4-26 mark. The Retrievers bring in two new recruits from the Class of 2012.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 5
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ (5)