Oct 10, 2012, 4:14 PM EST
Just two days away from the start of team practices to begin the 2012-13 season, UMBC coach Randy Monroe has resigned.
“We appreciate all that Coach Monroe did for our basketball program and our community during his long tenure at UMBC,” UMBC athletic director Charles Brown said in a statement. “We wish him nothing but success in his future endeavors.”
UMBC had been under Monroe’s watch for the past eight seasons, with the coach amassing an overall record of 85-159. Prior to becoming the head coach, Monroe served as an assistant at UMBC for 10 seasons.
Monroe’s only winning season as head coach of the team came in 2007-08. That season, the Retrievers finished 24-9, winning the America East regular season and tournament titles and securing a berth in the NCAA tournament.
To replace Monroe on an interim basis, assistant Aki Thomas takes over as the head of the program.
“Aki brings an excellent playing and coaching background to the position,” Brown said in the release. “He has strong communication skills and will fit into our program in a very positive way. I am confident that he will be able to support our student-athletes during this time of transition. I am excited about this year’s men’s basketball team and feel that we can compete for the America East Conference title.”
Over the past three seasons, UMBC has gone 13-77 overall. They finished last season with a 4-26 mark. The Retrievers bring in two new recruits from the Class of 2012.
- Kansas lost, but Jayhawk fans should be happy after the Colorado game 2
- Colorado needs game-winner to serve as a catalyst for Askia Booker (VIDEO) 0
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again 3
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Figuring out the ACC 0
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games 4
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (4)
- Kansas lost, but Jayhawk fans should be happy after the Colorado game (4)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)