Oct 11, 2012, 8:18 PM EDT
As we noted earlier, highly-touted wing James Young — a Michigan native that never even made a visit to Michigan State — joined the Harrison twins in John Calipari’s 2013 recruiting class.
This didn’t get as much pub as the Harrisons’ commitment did (hey, Young is only one guy, you know?), but it is a significant commitment. Kentucky now has three of the ten best high school players in the country on track to become members of Big Blue Nation, and that’s just the beginning.
Coach Cal has more commitments coming. Who, exactly, they are is to be determined, but I think it is safe to assume that he’ll once again land one of the best classes in the country.
Mike DeCourcy agrees with me. He wrote a column on the subject, in fact, and it is worth the five minutes it will take you to read it.
But the most interesting note in the column was tucked about halfway down, when DeCourcy started talking about Andrew Wiggins (emphasis mine):
Wiggins still is listed as a junior at Huntington Prep in West Virginia. A 6-8 wing who is a native of Toronto, he is considered by many to be the top prospect in all of high school basketball, regardless of class. Although many have speculated he will reclassify and graduate in the spring — he will turn 18 in February — my sources say that appears to be unlikely at this stage.
The consensus opinion among recruitniks is that Wiggins will, at some point, move up to the Class of 2013. It only makes sense. He’ll get to college a year earlier, which gets him to the pros a year earlier, which gets him that second contract — the one where the real money is made — a year earlier. And rest assured, Andrew Wiggins will be ready to play in the NBA in 2014.
DeCourcy knows his stuff. This is by no means definitive, but it is the first time I’ve seen someone worth paying attention to say they thought Wiggins to 2013 was unlikely. Something to keep an eye on.
(Photo credit: Nike)
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)