Oct 12, 2012, 4:22 PM EST
Connecticut formally announced the return of former Husky guard Ricky Moore to the program on Friday, as he was named the director of basketball administration.
Moore, who was an assistant on Paul Cormier’s staff at Dartmouth the last two seasons, returns to the school that he helped lead to its first national title in 1999.
“I’m thrilled to be able to have Ricky join our staff,” head coach Kevin Ollie said in a statement announcing the move. “With his high character and strong basketball background, especially with his ties to UConn, he will be a perfect addition to help us maintain the success we have achieved.
“Ricky’s unselfishness as a player epitomizes the kind of attitude we are looking for from our student-athletes and from everybody associated with our program. I couldn’t be more pleased to welcome him back to the Husky family.”
Moore didn’t have the highest averages during his playing career in Storrs, averaging 6.9 points and 3.8 assists per contest in four seasons.
But he was a team leader during his time on campus, and the tenacious defender was named to the school’s All-Century Team in 2001.
Moore won’t be able to coach in this position, but Coach Ollie gains another staff member who played a role in the growth of the program.
That certainly can’t hurt matters as UConn looks to navigate the first year post-Jim Calhoun.
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)