Oct 12, 2012, 4:22 PM EST
Connecticut formally announced the return of former Husky guard Ricky Moore to the program on Friday, as he was named the director of basketball administration.
Moore, who was an assistant on Paul Cormier’s staff at Dartmouth the last two seasons, returns to the school that he helped lead to its first national title in 1999.
“I’m thrilled to be able to have Ricky join our staff,” head coach Kevin Ollie said in a statement announcing the move. “With his high character and strong basketball background, especially with his ties to UConn, he will be a perfect addition to help us maintain the success we have achieved.
“Ricky’s unselfishness as a player epitomizes the kind of attitude we are looking for from our student-athletes and from everybody associated with our program. I couldn’t be more pleased to welcome him back to the Husky family.”
Moore didn’t have the highest averages during his playing career in Storrs, averaging 6.9 points and 3.8 assists per contest in four seasons.
But he was a team leader during his time on campus, and the tenacious defender was named to the school’s All-Century Team in 2001.
Moore won’t be able to coach in this position, but Coach Ollie gains another staff member who played a role in the growth of the program.
That certainly can’t hurt matters as UConn looks to navigate the first year post-Jim Calhoun.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)