Oct 12, 2012, 3:52 PM EST
Former Oklahoma State basketball player Darrell Williams received two suspended one-year sentences for his conviction on charges of rape by instrumentation and sexual battery.
Williams, who has insisted that he’s innocent throughout the case, avoids spending any more time behind bars but will have to register as a sex offender.
Payne County District Judge Phillip Corley denied the defense’s request for a new trial in making the ruling, and defense attorney Cheryl Ramsey plans on appealing the ruling.
“We thought that we had proven that the new trial motion should be granted,” said Ramsey after the hearing.
Williams faced up to two years in prison when convicted back in July on the charges, and his case sparked support from multiple outlets including Rev. Jesse Jackson.
The Chicago native was suspended from the Oklahoma State program when charged in February 2011.
Coach Travis Ford suspended Williams from the team in February 2011 but testified at Williams’ trial that he believed he was innocent. Before his suspension, Williams led the team in rebounding and averaged 7.1 points per game.
It was noted during the trial by the defense that Williams passed two polygraph tests and neither of the victims suffered any cuts or torn clothing.
One of the victims spoke out against those who have alleged racial profiling in the case back in August, stating that “it’s not about race; it’s about rape. He raped two girls.”
There was no word from the Associated Press on when the appeal would be filed.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)