Oct 12, 2012, 3:52 PM EDT
Former Oklahoma State basketball player Darrell Williams received two suspended one-year sentences for his conviction on charges of rape by instrumentation and sexual battery.
Williams, who has insisted that he’s innocent throughout the case, avoids spending any more time behind bars but will have to register as a sex offender.
Payne County District Judge Phillip Corley denied the defense’s request for a new trial in making the ruling, and defense attorney Cheryl Ramsey plans on appealing the ruling.
“We thought that we had proven that the new trial motion should be granted,” said Ramsey after the hearing.
Williams faced up to two years in prison when convicted back in July on the charges, and his case sparked support from multiple outlets including Rev. Jesse Jackson.
The Chicago native was suspended from the Oklahoma State program when charged in February 2011.
Coach Travis Ford suspended Williams from the team in February 2011 but testified at Williams’ trial that he believed he was innocent. Before his suspension, Williams led the team in rebounding and averaged 7.1 points per game.
It was noted during the trial by the defense that Williams passed two polygraph tests and neither of the victims suffered any cuts or torn clothing.
One of the victims spoke out against those who have alleged racial profiling in the case back in August, stating that “it’s not about race; it’s about rape. He raped two girls.”
There was no word from the Associated Press on when the appeal would be filed.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)