Oct 12, 2012, 3:52 PM EST
Former Oklahoma State basketball player Darrell Williams received two suspended one-year sentences for his conviction on charges of rape by instrumentation and sexual battery.
Williams, who has insisted that he’s innocent throughout the case, avoids spending any more time behind bars but will have to register as a sex offender.
Payne County District Judge Phillip Corley denied the defense’s request for a new trial in making the ruling, and defense attorney Cheryl Ramsey plans on appealing the ruling.
“We thought that we had proven that the new trial motion should be granted,” said Ramsey after the hearing.
Williams faced up to two years in prison when convicted back in July on the charges, and his case sparked support from multiple outlets including Rev. Jesse Jackson.
The Chicago native was suspended from the Oklahoma State program when charged in February 2011.
Coach Travis Ford suspended Williams from the team in February 2011 but testified at Williams’ trial that he believed he was innocent. Before his suspension, Williams led the team in rebounding and averaged 7.1 points per game.
It was noted during the trial by the defense that Williams passed two polygraph tests and neither of the victims suffered any cuts or torn clothing.
One of the victims spoke out against those who have alleged racial profiling in the case back in August, stating that “it’s not about race; it’s about rape. He raped two girls.”
There was no word from the Associated Press on when the appeal would be filed.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)