Oct 12, 2012, 6:21 PM EST
On Sept. 10, Minnesota forward Trevor Mbakwe plead guilty to a DWI he was arrested for back in July. Friday was the Golden Gophers’ media day and the former All-Big Ten forward told reporters that he has already been reprimanded by head coach Tubby Smith.
“It’s something that happened earlier in the summer time. Coach (Tubby Smith) has been well aware of it, and it’s something we’re handling internally as a team. At this time, I have nothing else to say on that.”
Mbakwe was ordered to serve 16 hours of community service last month, after the 6-foot-8 forward was charged with driving with a blood alcohol level above the .08 limit, according to a report from Emily Gurnon of the Pioneer Press.
This DWI is another run-in Mbakwe has had with the law in recent years. He missed the 2009-2010 season while he awaited trial on a felony assault charge, although that never went to trial. In Dec. 2011, Mbakwe was arrested for a violation of a restraining order after sending an ex-girlfriend a message on Facebook.
Gurnon also reported that Smith came close to dismissing the six-year forward from the program. Mbakwe is reportedly coming off the bench this season, which Mbakwe says is to ease him back after suffering a torn ACL, not as a punishment for the DWI.
Mbakwe was granted a sixth-year of eligibility back in March.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 11
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (11)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)