Oct 12, 2012, 6:21 PM EST
On Sept. 10, Minnesota forward Trevor Mbakwe plead guilty to a DWI he was arrested for back in July. Friday was the Golden Gophers’ media day and the former All-Big Ten forward told reporters that he has already been reprimanded by head coach Tubby Smith.
“It’s something that happened earlier in the summer time. Coach (Tubby Smith) has been well aware of it, and it’s something we’re handling internally as a team. At this time, I have nothing else to say on that.”
Mbakwe was ordered to serve 16 hours of community service last month, after the 6-foot-8 forward was charged with driving with a blood alcohol level above the .08 limit, according to a report from Emily Gurnon of the Pioneer Press.
This DWI is another run-in Mbakwe has had with the law in recent years. He missed the 2009-2010 season while he awaited trial on a felony assault charge, although that never went to trial. In Dec. 2011, Mbakwe was arrested for a violation of a restraining order after sending an ex-girlfriend a message on Facebook.
Gurnon also reported that Smith came close to dismissing the six-year forward from the program. Mbakwe is reportedly coming off the bench this season, which Mbakwe says is to ease him back after suffering a torn ACL, not as a punishment for the DWI.
Mbakwe was granted a sixth-year of eligibility back in March.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)