Oct 12, 2012, 6:21 PM EST
On Sept. 10, Minnesota forward Trevor Mbakwe plead guilty to a DWI he was arrested for back in July. Friday was the Golden Gophers’ media day and the former All-Big Ten forward told reporters that he has already been reprimanded by head coach Tubby Smith.
“It’s something that happened earlier in the summer time. Coach (Tubby Smith) has been well aware of it, and it’s something we’re handling internally as a team. At this time, I have nothing else to say on that.”
Mbakwe was ordered to serve 16 hours of community service last month, after the 6-foot-8 forward was charged with driving with a blood alcohol level above the .08 limit, according to a report from Emily Gurnon of the Pioneer Press.
This DWI is another run-in Mbakwe has had with the law in recent years. He missed the 2009-2010 season while he awaited trial on a felony assault charge, although that never went to trial. In Dec. 2011, Mbakwe was arrested for a violation of a restraining order after sending an ex-girlfriend a message on Facebook.
Gurnon also reported that Smith came close to dismissing the six-year forward from the program. Mbakwe is reportedly coming off the bench this season, which Mbakwe says is to ease him back after suffering a torn ACL, not as a punishment for the DWI.
Mbakwe was granted a sixth-year of eligibility back in March.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)