Oct 12, 2012, 6:21 PM EDT
On Sept. 10, Minnesota forward Trevor Mbakwe plead guilty to a DWI he was arrested for back in July. Friday was the Golden Gophers’ media day and the former All-Big Ten forward told reporters that he has already been reprimanded by head coach Tubby Smith.
“It’s something that happened earlier in the summer time. Coach (Tubby Smith) has been well aware of it, and it’s something we’re handling internally as a team. At this time, I have nothing else to say on that.”
Mbakwe was ordered to serve 16 hours of community service last month, after the 6-foot-8 forward was charged with driving with a blood alcohol level above the .08 limit, according to a report from Emily Gurnon of the Pioneer Press.
This DWI is another run-in Mbakwe has had with the law in recent years. He missed the 2009-2010 season while he awaited trial on a felony assault charge, although that never went to trial. In Dec. 2011, Mbakwe was arrested for a violation of a restraining order after sending an ex-girlfriend a message on Facebook.
Gurnon also reported that Smith came close to dismissing the six-year forward from the program. Mbakwe is reportedly coming off the bench this season, which Mbakwe says is to ease him back after suffering a torn ACL, not as a punishment for the DWI.
Mbakwe was granted a sixth-year of eligibility back in March.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)