Oct 12, 2012, 11:56 PM EDT
Friday night, the first of many highlight slams from Midnight Madness surfaced, as St. John’s freshman forward, JaKarr Sampson threw down a 360 dunk at Carnesecca Arena.
The video was uploaded to SocialCam.com via NYCHoops.net (VIDEO).
As part of the dunk contest, Sampson received some assistance from junior forward Orlando Sanchez. The 6-foot-9 Sanchez, showed off some soccer skills, using a rainbow kick to flip the ball to himself and throwing an alley-oop to Sampson charging from the baseline.
The athleticism Sampson provided in the dunk contest became the theme for the evening and potentially the season. Following the Midnight Madness in New York, ESPN analyst, Tarik Turner, talked about the revamp Red Storm team.
The athleticism and the depth. Those were the two things that stood out to me. You have so much talent on the court now because you have a bigger frontline.
Sampson is one of Steve Lavin’s impressive recruiting class, along with forward Chris Obekpa and guard Felix Balamou.
St. John’s struggled in 2011-2012 ending 13-19 (6-12 Big East)
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 1
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- ACC releases its full conference schedule (2)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)