Oct 12, 2012, 11:56 PM EDT
Friday night, the first of many highlight slams from Midnight Madness surfaced, as St. John’s freshman forward, JaKarr Sampson threw down a 360 dunk at Carnesecca Arena.
The video was uploaded to SocialCam.com via NYCHoops.net (VIDEO).
As part of the dunk contest, Sampson received some assistance from junior forward Orlando Sanchez. The 6-foot-9 Sanchez, showed off some soccer skills, using a rainbow kick to flip the ball to himself and throwing an alley-oop to Sampson charging from the baseline.
The athleticism Sampson provided in the dunk contest became the theme for the evening and potentially the season. Following the Midnight Madness in New York, ESPN analyst, Tarik Turner, talked about the revamp Red Storm team.
The athleticism and the depth. Those were the two things that stood out to me. You have so much talent on the court now because you have a bigger frontline.
Sampson is one of Steve Lavin’s impressive recruiting class, along with forward Chris Obekpa and guard Felix Balamou.
St. John’s struggled in 2011-2012 ending 13-19 (6-12 Big East)
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)