Oct 13, 2012, 2:06 PM EST
Harvard, seeing its men’s basketball brand on the rise nationally, has unveiled plans for a new basketball arena to be completed by 2022, multiple outlets are now reporting.
“The university and the Harvard-Allston Task Force have been meeting over several months to discuss many elements of the plan,” Kevin Casey, a spokesman for Harvard, told the Boston Globe.
“We are pleased to take this important step forward in the master planning process next week and look forward to our continued discussions within the university, with the city and with our Allston neighbors.”
According to Harvard Magazine, which outlined some specifics of the plan, the arena is slated to be 60,000 square feet, housed within a four- to nine-story building that would seat close to 2,700 people.
It would be a much-needed upgrade for the Crimson, who have been playing at Ray Lavietes Pavilion since it was constructed in 1926.
The increasing visibility of the Harvard program in recent years has been for a number of reasons, both good and bad.
Last season, coach Tommy Amaker led his team to its first NCAA tournament appearance since 1946. In the NBA, alumnus Jeremy Lin was a breakout star for the New York Knicks.
But recent revelations of a widespread cheating scandal at the university implicated team co-captains Kyle Casey and Brandyn Curry, who both withdrew from the school.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)