Oct 13, 2012, 12:29 PM EDT
After announcing last month its intentions to leave the Big East and join the ACC, Notre Dame is now in “very early conversations” to forego the standard 27-month waiting period and realign early, the Associated Press is reporting.
”We’ve begun very preliminary conversations with the Big East,” Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick told the AP. ”I continue to believe it’s in the interest of both parties to find a way to facilitate an earlier movement of Notre Dame out of the conference.”
An early defection by Notre Dame would not unprecedented or even something new, as both Pittsburgh and Syracuse negotiated deals with the Big East that will allow them to move to the ACC for the start of the 2013-14 season.
“It’s too early to tell whether we’re going to be able to find a solution that works well for both parties, but I can assure you it will always be amicable,” Swarbrick said. “There won’t be any fighting or any issues. We’ll see if we can reach a common solution. If we can’t we’ll be happy to play out the remainder of our term in the Big East.”
According to the report, a deal would likely have to be reached by Jan. 1, 2013 for the Irish to compete in the ACC next season, 2013-14.
Last month’s news of Notre Dame’s move means that the Irish will join the ACC in all sports except football and hockey, with the football team remaining independent, but playing six games annually against ACC teams.
For Mike Brey and the men’s basketball program, they begin their 2012-13 season on Nov. 10 against Evansville.
- Looking Forward: Seven coaches who’ll enter 2015-16 on the ‘hot seat’ 0
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 2
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 6
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 5
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ (6)