Oct 13, 2012, 3:51 PM EST
After enduring a long season with an inexperienced roster, West Virginia coach Bob Huggins might be rewarded for his services, according to the Charleston Daily Mail.
In the report, West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck is quoted as saying that the school is “looking to at adding to both the length and the compensation” of the deal Huggins signed in 2008.
“I think what ultimately any athletic director wants for his or her programs is to have stability, and that stability is important because of recruiting and because of fan interest,” Luck told the paper.
“I think by and large, people around the state think the world of him and they’re excited about him being their coach in the Big 12.”
Huggins is scheduled to make $2.3 million during the 2012-13 season, part of the 11-year, $27.5 million deal he signed four years ago.
In five seasons with the Mountaineers, Huggins has amasses an overall record of 120-56, including a 31-7 season in 2009-10 that ended with a trip to the Final Four.
Last season’s 19-14 finish was still good enough to secure an NCAA tournament berth, but West Virginia was eliminated by Gonzaga in the Round of 64.
The Mountaineers open this season against the same team that eliminated them to end last season, Gonzaga, on Nov. 13 at midnight. It will begin their first season of competition in the Big 12.
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)