Oct 13, 2012, 3:51 PM EST
After enduring a long season with an inexperienced roster, West Virginia coach Bob Huggins might be rewarded for his services, according to the Charleston Daily Mail.
In the report, West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck is quoted as saying that the school is “looking to at adding to both the length and the compensation” of the deal Huggins signed in 2008.
“I think what ultimately any athletic director wants for his or her programs is to have stability, and that stability is important because of recruiting and because of fan interest,” Luck told the paper.
“I think by and large, people around the state think the world of him and they’re excited about him being their coach in the Big 12.”
Huggins is scheduled to make $2.3 million during the 2012-13 season, part of the 11-year, $27.5 million deal he signed four years ago.
In five seasons with the Mountaineers, Huggins has amasses an overall record of 120-56, including a 31-7 season in 2009-10 that ended with a trip to the Final Four.
Last season’s 19-14 finish was still good enough to secure an NCAA tournament berth, but West Virginia was eliminated by Gonzaga in the Round of 64.
The Mountaineers open this season against the same team that eliminated them to end last season, Gonzaga, on Nov. 13 at midnight. It will begin their first season of competition in the Big 12.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)