Oct 13, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
After enduring a long season with an inexperienced roster, West Virginia coach Bob Huggins might be rewarded for his services, according to the Charleston Daily Mail.
In the report, West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck is quoted as saying that the school is “looking to at adding to both the length and the compensation” of the deal Huggins signed in 2008.
“I think what ultimately any athletic director wants for his or her programs is to have stability, and that stability is important because of recruiting and because of fan interest,” Luck told the paper.
“I think by and large, people around the state think the world of him and they’re excited about him being their coach in the Big 12.”
Huggins is scheduled to make $2.3 million during the 2012-13 season, part of the 11-year, $27.5 million deal he signed four years ago.
In five seasons with the Mountaineers, Huggins has amasses an overall record of 120-56, including a 31-7 season in 2009-10 that ended with a trip to the Final Four.
Last season’s 19-14 finish was still good enough to secure an NCAA tournament berth, but West Virginia was eliminated by Gonzaga in the Round of 64.
The Mountaineers open this season against the same team that eliminated them to end last season, Gonzaga, on Nov. 13 at midnight. It will begin their first season of competition in the Big 12.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)