Oct 13, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
After enduring a long season with an inexperienced roster, West Virginia coach Bob Huggins might be rewarded for his services, according to the Charleston Daily Mail.
In the report, West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck is quoted as saying that the school is “looking to at adding to both the length and the compensation” of the deal Huggins signed in 2008.
“I think what ultimately any athletic director wants for his or her programs is to have stability, and that stability is important because of recruiting and because of fan interest,” Luck told the paper.
“I think by and large, people around the state think the world of him and they’re excited about him being their coach in the Big 12.”
Huggins is scheduled to make $2.3 million during the 2012-13 season, part of the 11-year, $27.5 million deal he signed four years ago.
In five seasons with the Mountaineers, Huggins has amasses an overall record of 120-56, including a 31-7 season in 2009-10 that ended with a trip to the Final Four.
Last season’s 19-14 finish was still good enough to secure an NCAA tournament berth, but West Virginia was eliminated by Gonzaga in the Round of 64.
The Mountaineers open this season against the same team that eliminated them to end last season, Gonzaga, on Nov. 13 at midnight. It will begin their first season of competition in the Big 12.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)