Oct 14, 2012, 9:38 PM EDT
Washington landed its second verbal commitment in the 2013 class on Sunday evening, as 6-4 shooting guard Darin Johnson tweeted his decision to be a Husky.
Johnson, who played on the same Play Hard Play Smart AAU team as San Diego State commits Dakarai Allen and D’Erryl Williams II, hails from Sacramento, California.
Johnson picked the Huskies over Oregon, San Diego State and Texas A&M, and he averaged 16.8 points per game at Franklin HS last season.
darin johnson (@D_NASTYJFAM) October 15, 2012
With Johnson’s commitment versatile guard Nigel Williams-Goss (Findlay Prep) has some company in Washington’s 2013 class, and these two are players who can help Lorenzo Romar’s program remain a contender in the Pac-12.
Washington has two senior guards in their rotation this season in point guard Abdul Gaddy and shooting guard Scott Suggs.
Johnson and Williams-Goss join a group that will likely include Andrew Andrews, Dion Overstreet, Hikeem Stewart and C.J. Wilcox.
The Huskies will also have 6-9 power forward Perris Blackwell (San Francisco transfer) and 7-footer Gilles Dierickx (FIU transfer) eligible for play next season, and they’ll have the task of accounting for the departure of current senior center Aziz N’Diaye.
Washington isn’t done with their 2013 class at Aaron Gordon remains on the board, and landing Johnson to go along with Williams-Goss makes this a good day for the Huskies.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 3
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)