Oct 14, 2012, 3:37 PM EST
Early this summer, Andre Dawkins was redshirted for the upcoming 2012-13 season as he continued to cope with the death of his sister.
Now, it had been decided that Dawkins will not practice with the team, though he will remain in school, the News & Observer is reporting.
“He is doing really well with that,” Andre Dawkins Sr. told the paper. “We’re supporting him in whatever way we can. We’re just taking it one day at a time.”
Dawkins’ sister, Lacey, was killed in a car accident in Dec. 2009 as she drove to see her brother play against St. John’s in Durham.
He averaged 8.4 points in just over 22 minutes per game last season for the Blue Devils, with his biggest game coming in November against Michigan State when he scored 26 points and added four steals.
He will have one year of eligibility remaining when he takes the court in 2013-14, a plan that his father insists will remain on track, despite recent setbacks.
Duke opens its season against Georgia State on Nov. 9 at Cameron Indoor.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 0
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)