Oct 14, 2012, 3:37 PM EDT
Early this summer, Andre Dawkins was redshirted for the upcoming 2012-13 season as he continued to cope with the death of his sister.
Now, it had been decided that Dawkins will not practice with the team, though he will remain in school, the News & Observer is reporting.
“He is doing really well with that,” Andre Dawkins Sr. told the paper. “We’re supporting him in whatever way we can. We’re just taking it one day at a time.”
Dawkins’ sister, Lacey, was killed in a car accident in Dec. 2009 as she drove to see her brother play against St. John’s in Durham.
He averaged 8.4 points in just over 22 minutes per game last season for the Blue Devils, with his biggest game coming in November against Michigan State when he scored 26 points and added four steals.
He will have one year of eligibility remaining when he takes the court in 2013-14, a plan that his father insists will remain on track, despite recent setbacks.
Duke opens its season against Georgia State on Nov. 9 at Cameron Indoor.
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)