Oct 14, 2012, 3:37 PM EST
Early this summer, Andre Dawkins was redshirted for the upcoming 2012-13 season as he continued to cope with the death of his sister.
Now, it had been decided that Dawkins will not practice with the team, though he will remain in school, the News & Observer is reporting.
“He is doing really well with that,” Andre Dawkins Sr. told the paper. “We’re supporting him in whatever way we can. We’re just taking it one day at a time.”
Dawkins’ sister, Lacey, was killed in a car accident in Dec. 2009 as she drove to see her brother play against St. John’s in Durham.
He averaged 8.4 points in just over 22 minutes per game last season for the Blue Devils, with his biggest game coming in November against Michigan State when he scored 26 points and added four steals.
He will have one year of eligibility remaining when he takes the court in 2013-14, a plan that his father insists will remain on track, despite recent setbacks.
Duke opens its season against Georgia State on Nov. 9 at Cameron Indoor.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 12
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (12)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)