Oct 14, 2012, 3:37 PM EDT
Early this summer, Andre Dawkins was redshirted for the upcoming 2012-13 season as he continued to cope with the death of his sister.
Now, it had been decided that Dawkins will not practice with the team, though he will remain in school, the News & Observer is reporting.
“He is doing really well with that,” Andre Dawkins Sr. told the paper. “We’re supporting him in whatever way we can. We’re just taking it one day at a time.”
Dawkins’ sister, Lacey, was killed in a car accident in Dec. 2009 as she drove to see her brother play against St. John’s in Durham.
He averaged 8.4 points in just over 22 minutes per game last season for the Blue Devils, with his biggest game coming in November against Michigan State when he scored 26 points and added four steals.
He will have one year of eligibility remaining when he takes the court in 2013-14, a plan that his father insists will remain on track, despite recent setbacks.
Duke opens its season against Georgia State on Nov. 9 at Cameron Indoor.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte