Oct 14, 2012, 12:55 AM EDT
This has been a hellish offseason for the Texas Tech Red Raiders. Head coach Billy Gillispie, already on his second chance, was accused of abusing his players and ignoring NCAA rules regarding practice time. He was hospitalized twice, and eventually resigned in disgrace.
So, in a way, the event we’ve come to know as Midnight Madness is a return to sanity for the Red Raiders. With interim head coach Chris Walker leading the way, the Raiders had a quiet, non-public scrimmage to officially kick off a season that they hope will be both a little quieter and a little louder than the last few months.
The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal was able to attend the practice, and reported on Walker’s words to his prematurely worn-down troops.
Walker had all players, coaches and staff members dressed in black Friday, an effort, he said, to simulate the feeling of a road environment. He said he wants his practices loud, forcing players to drown out the noise and focus on details.
“Let ’em hear you in Austin!” he told his team during one drill. “Let ’em hear you in Lawrence, Kansas!”
Even without the Gillispie situation, this Texas Tech team wasn’t likely to pose a major threat to the Longhorns or Jayhawks, but a positive attitude, no matter how Pollyanna-ish, is Walker’s only possible recourse. If he somehow manages to hold this broken team together for a full season, let alone win a game or two, he’s one hell of a coach.
Here’s a little bit better look at the man on the spot in Lubbock:
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)