Oct 14, 2012, 9:40 AM EST
Canada native and Top-30 guard Xavier Rathan-Mayes has committed to Florida State, he confirmed via his Twitter page Saturday.
Rathan-Mayes, a 6-3 guard who had a strong summer on the AAU circuit playing for powerhouse CIA Bounce, is a pure scorer who knows how to use his body well to create space and work to put up points.
His range extends out to beyond the arc and, having played with No. 1 prospect Andrew Wiggins and Syracuse commit Tyler Ennis on the AAU circuit, he has learned how to be productive with other talent around him.
Last season at Huntington Prep, he averaged 14.6 points, 4.5 assists, and 4.0 rebounds per game.
The Seminoles were a leader for Rathan-Mayes for much of his recruitment, especially considering the fact that his father, Tharon Mayes, played for Florida State from 1987-90.
Rathan-Mayes is also good friends with perhaps the nation’s best overall prospect, Wiggins, who is also considering Florida State, so it is to be seen whether Rathan-Mayes’ decision has anything to do with Wiggins’ future college decision.
Rathan-Mayes becomes the first commit from the Class of 2013 for coach Leonard Hamilton and the Seminoles.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)