Oct 14, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
Canada native and Top-30 guard Xavier Rathan-Mayes has committed to Florida State, he confirmed via his Twitter page Saturday.
Rathan-Mayes, a 6-3 guard who had a strong summer on the AAU circuit playing for powerhouse CIA Bounce, is a pure scorer who knows how to use his body well to create space and work to put up points.
His range extends out to beyond the arc and, having played with No. 1 prospect Andrew Wiggins and Syracuse commit Tyler Ennis on the AAU circuit, he has learned how to be productive with other talent around him.
Last season at Huntington Prep, he averaged 14.6 points, 4.5 assists, and 4.0 rebounds per game.
The Seminoles were a leader for Rathan-Mayes for much of his recruitment, especially considering the fact that his father, Tharon Mayes, played for Florida State from 1987-90.
Rathan-Mayes is also good friends with perhaps the nation’s best overall prospect, Wiggins, who is also considering Florida State, so it is to be seen whether Rathan-Mayes’ decision has anything to do with Wiggins’ future college decision.
Rathan-Mayes becomes the first commit from the Class of 2013 for coach Leonard Hamilton and the Seminoles.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)