Oct 14, 2012, 9:40 AM EST
Canada native and Top-30 guard Xavier Rathan-Mayes has committed to Florida State, he confirmed via his Twitter page Saturday.
Rathan-Mayes, a 6-3 guard who had a strong summer on the AAU circuit playing for powerhouse CIA Bounce, is a pure scorer who knows how to use his body well to create space and work to put up points.
His range extends out to beyond the arc and, having played with No. 1 prospect Andrew Wiggins and Syracuse commit Tyler Ennis on the AAU circuit, he has learned how to be productive with other talent around him.
Last season at Huntington Prep, he averaged 14.6 points, 4.5 assists, and 4.0 rebounds per game.
The Seminoles were a leader for Rathan-Mayes for much of his recruitment, especially considering the fact that his father, Tharon Mayes, played for Florida State from 1987-90.
Rathan-Mayes is also good friends with perhaps the nation’s best overall prospect, Wiggins, who is also considering Florida State, so it is to be seen whether Rathan-Mayes’ decision has anything to do with Wiggins’ future college decision.
Rathan-Mayes becomes the first commit from the Class of 2013 for coach Leonard Hamilton and the Seminoles.
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 0
- No. 8 Kansas loses, but The Andrew Wiggins Show is what’s important 1
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league 5
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy (6)
- Bracketology: Eight teams in play for No. 1 seeds (6)