Oct 14, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
Canada native and Top-30 guard Xavier Rathan-Mayes has committed to Florida State, he confirmed via his Twitter page Saturday.
Rathan-Mayes, a 6-3 guard who had a strong summer on the AAU circuit playing for powerhouse CIA Bounce, is a pure scorer who knows how to use his body well to create space and work to put up points.
His range extends out to beyond the arc and, having played with No. 1 prospect Andrew Wiggins and Syracuse commit Tyler Ennis on the AAU circuit, he has learned how to be productive with other talent around him.
Last season at Huntington Prep, he averaged 14.6 points, 4.5 assists, and 4.0 rebounds per game.
The Seminoles were a leader for Rathan-Mayes for much of his recruitment, especially considering the fact that his father, Tharon Mayes, played for Florida State from 1987-90.
Rathan-Mayes is also good friends with perhaps the nation’s best overall prospect, Wiggins, who is also considering Florida State, so it is to be seen whether Rathan-Mayes’ decision has anything to do with Wiggins’ future college decision.
Rathan-Mayes becomes the first commit from the Class of 2013 for coach Leonard Hamilton and the Seminoles.
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 0
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)