Oct 14, 2012, 9:40 AM EST
Canada native and Top-30 guard Xavier Rathan-Mayes has committed to Florida State, he confirmed via his Twitter page Saturday.
Rathan-Mayes, a 6-3 guard who had a strong summer on the AAU circuit playing for powerhouse CIA Bounce, is a pure scorer who knows how to use his body well to create space and work to put up points.
His range extends out to beyond the arc and, having played with No. 1 prospect Andrew Wiggins and Syracuse commit Tyler Ennis on the AAU circuit, he has learned how to be productive with other talent around him.
Last season at Huntington Prep, he averaged 14.6 points, 4.5 assists, and 4.0 rebounds per game.
The Seminoles were a leader for Rathan-Mayes for much of his recruitment, especially considering the fact that his father, Tharon Mayes, played for Florida State from 1987-90.
Rathan-Mayes is also good friends with perhaps the nation’s best overall prospect, Wiggins, who is also considering Florida State, so it is to be seen whether Rathan-Mayes’ decision has anything to do with Wiggins’ future college decision.
Rathan-Mayes becomes the first commit from the Class of 2013 for coach Leonard Hamilton and the Seminoles.
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Team 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (6)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Congratulations to Dickie V on 35 years of broadcasting (VIDEO) (3)
- VCU’s half court scoring issues becoming a concern? (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)