Oct 14, 2012, 12:01 PM EST
As part of a celebration to open the newly renovated Pauley Pavilion, the UCLA Bruins will unveil a statue of legendary head coach John Wooden on Oct. 26.
The statue will stand outside the stadium, which recently underwent $136 million in renovations.
“The statue is a monument to a man who touched countless lives and showed us what it means to lead with integrity, humility, compassion and commitment,” UCLA Chancellor Gene Block said in a statement. “The legacy of the late Coach Wooden transcends athletics, our campus and the local community. I speak for many when I say with pride that his image will forever grace the main entrance to Pauley Pavilion.”
Members of Wooden’s family are expected to be in attendance to see the unveiling of the statue, which was paid for by boosters to the athletics program and created by sculptor Blair Buswell.
Buswell is known for her work creating busts of inductees into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
In his time as the head coach at UCLA, Wooden won 10 national championships in a 12-season span and amassed an overall record of 620-147.
The Bruins open their season on Nov. 9 against Indiana State, which in itself is a tribute to Wooden. During his time as a coach, UCLA and Indiana State were the only two programs for which he coached.
UCLA is still waiting on the eligibility rulings of two keys players, Kyle Anderson and Shabazz Muhammad, who have not been granted initial clearance by the NCAA.
The team had a successful 3-0 trip to China in August, which showcased Anderson and fellow freshman Jordan Adams.
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 2
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)