Oct 14, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
As part of a celebration to open the newly renovated Pauley Pavilion, the UCLA Bruins will unveil a statue of legendary head coach John Wooden on Oct. 26.
The statue will stand outside the stadium, which recently underwent $136 million in renovations.
“The statue is a monument to a man who touched countless lives and showed us what it means to lead with integrity, humility, compassion and commitment,” UCLA Chancellor Gene Block said in a statement. “The legacy of the late Coach Wooden transcends athletics, our campus and the local community. I speak for many when I say with pride that his image will forever grace the main entrance to Pauley Pavilion.”
Members of Wooden’s family are expected to be in attendance to see the unveiling of the statue, which was paid for by boosters to the athletics program and created by sculptor Blair Buswell.
Buswell is known for her work creating busts of inductees into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
In his time as the head coach at UCLA, Wooden won 10 national championships in a 12-season span and amassed an overall record of 620-147.
The Bruins open their season on Nov. 9 against Indiana State, which in itself is a tribute to Wooden. During his time as a coach, UCLA and Indiana State were the only two programs for which he coached.
UCLA is still waiting on the eligibility rulings of two keys players, Kyle Anderson and Shabazz Muhammad, who have not been granted initial clearance by the NCAA.
The team had a successful 3-0 trip to China in August, which showcased Anderson and fellow freshman Jordan Adams.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)