Oct 14, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
As part of a celebration to open the newly renovated Pauley Pavilion, the UCLA Bruins will unveil a statue of legendary head coach John Wooden on Oct. 26.
The statue will stand outside the stadium, which recently underwent $136 million in renovations.
“The statue is a monument to a man who touched countless lives and showed us what it means to lead with integrity, humility, compassion and commitment,” UCLA Chancellor Gene Block said in a statement. “The legacy of the late Coach Wooden transcends athletics, our campus and the local community. I speak for many when I say with pride that his image will forever grace the main entrance to Pauley Pavilion.”
Members of Wooden’s family are expected to be in attendance to see the unveiling of the statue, which was paid for by boosters to the athletics program and created by sculptor Blair Buswell.
Buswell is known for her work creating busts of inductees into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
In his time as the head coach at UCLA, Wooden won 10 national championships in a 12-season span and amassed an overall record of 620-147.
The Bruins open their season on Nov. 9 against Indiana State, which in itself is a tribute to Wooden. During his time as a coach, UCLA and Indiana State were the only two programs for which he coached.
UCLA is still waiting on the eligibility rulings of two keys players, Kyle Anderson and Shabazz Muhammad, who have not been granted initial clearance by the NCAA.
The team had a successful 3-0 trip to China in August, which showcased Anderson and fellow freshman Jordan Adams.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)