Oct 15, 2012, 5:47 PM EDT
Duke’s post depth took a hit with a report that redshirt freshman forward Marshall Plumlee will be out 6-8 weeks with a stess fracture in his left foot, according to CBSSports.com.
The 6-8 Plumlee, who sat out last season because of the Blue Devils’ depth up front, was slated for major minutes this season behind other forwards, including older brother Mason, a senior.
Now, Duke will rely on the older Plumlee, as well as fellow senior Ryan Kelly to anchor the post game. Freshman Amile Jefferson will also get a boost in playing time, and so will redshirt freshman Alex Murphy.
Marshall Plumlee had shown promise averaging 7.7 points and 8.3 rebounds, playing in the Four Nations Cup this summer.
If the 6-to-8 week tag holds, this should bring him back sometime around the middle of December, in time for a three-game home stretch against Cornell, Elon and Santa Clara. Then again, if the rest of the four-man rotation at forward plays well, they could extend the recovery process until the Dukies get to ACC play, and then unleash the third Plumlee.
It’s unfortunate, but Duke has the depth to survive. Just have to feel bad for Marshall, who now has his debut halted again after a season of waiting.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)