Oct 15, 2012, 5:47 PM EDT
Duke’s post depth took a hit with a report that redshirt freshman forward Marshall Plumlee will be out 6-8 weeks with a stess fracture in his left foot, according to CBSSports.com.
The 6-8 Plumlee, who sat out last season because of the Blue Devils’ depth up front, was slated for major minutes this season behind other forwards, including older brother Mason, a senior.
Now, Duke will rely on the older Plumlee, as well as fellow senior Ryan Kelly to anchor the post game. Freshman Amile Jefferson will also get a boost in playing time, and so will redshirt freshman Alex Murphy.
Marshall Plumlee had shown promise averaging 7.7 points and 8.3 rebounds, playing in the Four Nations Cup this summer.
If the 6-to-8 week tag holds, this should bring him back sometime around the middle of December, in time for a three-game home stretch against Cornell, Elon and Santa Clara. Then again, if the rest of the four-man rotation at forward plays well, they could extend the recovery process until the Dukies get to ACC play, and then unleash the third Plumlee.
It’s unfortunate, but Duke has the depth to survive. Just have to feel bad for Marshall, who now has his debut halted again after a season of waiting.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)