Oct 15, 2012, 6:45 PM EDT
Larry Brown, whether he’s at SMU for the rest of his coaching career or not, is starting to bring in an impressive recruiting haul.
The Mustangs got a commitment from guard Sterling Brown on Monday, according to ESPN.com.
Brown, a consensus Top-100 shooting guard in the class of 2013, committed to SMU over offers from Tennessee, Xavier and Miami, among others.
According to this quote from Sterling’s father, Chris, the other Brown, Larry, was a big reason for the commitment.
“We like coach’s style. He’s won a NCAA title and NBA championship. His record speaks for itself. There were no promises, but hard work pays off.”
Brown is the first commitment of the 2013 class for SMU. He averaged 13 points and nine rebounds as a junior last season. He’s the younger brother of former Michigan State standout Shannon Brown, now with the Phoenix Suns.
It’s a solid start for Brown in his recruiting rebirth for the Mustangs, considering that he hasn’t recruited since before players around Sterling Brown’s age were born.
I think you’ll see a lot of these type of “Larry Brown is a great coach” commits while he’s there. The same type of hierarchy-type recruiting pitches work in college football, and but they are rare in college basketball outside of the truly elites — the Roy Williamses, Rick Pitinos, John Caliparis, etc.
Pretty solid start for Brown. Especially with the total lack of talent he’s inherited, both by his own hand and by Matt Doherty’s, in Dallas.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)