Oct 15, 2012, 6:45 PM EST
Larry Brown, whether he’s at SMU for the rest of his coaching career or not, is starting to bring in an impressive recruiting haul.
The Mustangs got a commitment from guard Sterling Brown on Monday, according to ESPN.com.
Brown, a consensus Top-100 shooting guard in the class of 2013, committed to SMU over offers from Tennessee, Xavier and Miami, among others.
According to this quote from Sterling’s father, Chris, the other Brown, Larry, was a big reason for the commitment.
“We like coach’s style. He’s won a NCAA title and NBA championship. His record speaks for itself. There were no promises, but hard work pays off.”
Brown is the first commitment of the 2013 class for SMU. He averaged 13 points and nine rebounds as a junior last season. He’s the younger brother of former Michigan State standout Shannon Brown, now with the Phoenix Suns.
It’s a solid start for Brown in his recruiting rebirth for the Mustangs, considering that he hasn’t recruited since before players around Sterling Brown’s age were born.
I think you’ll see a lot of these type of “Larry Brown is a great coach” commits while he’s there. The same type of hierarchy-type recruiting pitches work in college football, and but they are rare in college basketball outside of the truly elites — the Roy Williamses, Rick Pitinos, John Caliparis, etc.
Pretty solid start for Brown. Especially with the total lack of talent he’s inherited, both by his own hand and by Matt Doherty’s, in Dallas.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)