Oct 16, 2012, 10:59 AM EST
Saint Louis point guard Kwamain Mitchell will be in a cast and walking boot for up to six weeks after undergoing successful surgery on a fractured left foot Monday, the school announced in a release.
“Kwamain is an important part of our team,” Billikens’ interim head coach Jim Crews said in a statement. “There is now an opportunity for others to step up in his place. We look forward to having Kwamain back playing this season. In the meantime, he will be very valuable on the bench as he is truly an extension of the coaching staff.”
The injury is an early setback for a team that has been picked to finish second in the Atlantic 10 in the conference’s preseason media poll.
Mitchell averaged 12.4 points and 3.7 assists per game last season and was chosen to be a member of the Preseason All-Conference team this season.
Saint Louis will have some obstacles in its way as it looks to contend for the conference title, namely the loss of coach Rick Majerus, who is on medical leave to deal with health issues that came to light over the summer.
Jim Crews takes over as the head coach on an interim basis.
With Mitchell out to begin the season and last season’s leading scorer Brian Conklin having graduated, Saint Louis will look to senior Cody Ellis and junior Dwayne Evans for scoring input.
The Billikens open their season on Nov. 9 against USC Upstate.
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 4
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 0
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 0
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)