Oct 16, 2012, 10:59 AM EST
Saint Louis point guard Kwamain Mitchell will be in a cast and walking boot for up to six weeks after undergoing successful surgery on a fractured left foot Monday, the school announced in a release.
“Kwamain is an important part of our team,” Billikens’ interim head coach Jim Crews said in a statement. “There is now an opportunity for others to step up in his place. We look forward to having Kwamain back playing this season. In the meantime, he will be very valuable on the bench as he is truly an extension of the coaching staff.”
The injury is an early setback for a team that has been picked to finish second in the Atlantic 10 in the conference’s preseason media poll.
Mitchell averaged 12.4 points and 3.7 assists per game last season and was chosen to be a member of the Preseason All-Conference team this season.
Saint Louis will have some obstacles in its way as it looks to contend for the conference title, namely the loss of coach Rick Majerus, who is on medical leave to deal with health issues that came to light over the summer.
Jim Crews takes over as the head coach on an interim basis.
With Mitchell out to begin the season and last season’s leading scorer Brian Conklin having graduated, Saint Louis will look to senior Cody Ellis and junior Dwayne Evans for scoring input.
The Billikens open their season on Nov. 9 against USC Upstate.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)