Oct 16, 2012, 10:59 AM EDT
Saint Louis point guard Kwamain Mitchell will be in a cast and walking boot for up to six weeks after undergoing successful surgery on a fractured left foot Monday, the school announced in a release.
“Kwamain is an important part of our team,” Billikens’ interim head coach Jim Crews said in a statement. “There is now an opportunity for others to step up in his place. We look forward to having Kwamain back playing this season. In the meantime, he will be very valuable on the bench as he is truly an extension of the coaching staff.”
The injury is an early setback for a team that has been picked to finish second in the Atlantic 10 in the conference’s preseason media poll.
Mitchell averaged 12.4 points and 3.7 assists per game last season and was chosen to be a member of the Preseason All-Conference team this season.
Saint Louis will have some obstacles in its way as it looks to contend for the conference title, namely the loss of coach Rick Majerus, who is on medical leave to deal with health issues that came to light over the summer.
Jim Crews takes over as the head coach on an interim basis.
With Mitchell out to begin the season and last season’s leading scorer Brian Conklin having graduated, Saint Louis will look to senior Cody Ellis and junior Dwayne Evans for scoring input.
The Billikens open their season on Nov. 9 against USC Upstate.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)