Oct 16, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
I don’t gamble all that much, because when I do gamble, I’m normally left without any money rather quickly. When you’re simply giving money to the house time and time again, it’s really easy to make the decision to, you know, stop just giving away those hard-earned greenbacks.
But the good folks over at William Hill Race & Sports Books know a thing or two about gambling, and earlier this week they released odds on who will win the national title. Generally speaking, Vegas is just about as good of an indicator as the preseason top 25 when trying to figure out who the best teams in the country are. And, as you can see, their top three are no surprise.
I’ll post the complete list of the odds at the bottom, but before I do, I’ll give you a couple of picks I like, picks which my gambling record may make you want to avoid.
- Missouri at 30:1 is a steal. I think the Tigers are one of the most complete teams in the country and will end up earning another top two seed. I also think that Syracuse at 20:1 odds is a worthwhile bet, and while I think that Syracuse will end up contending for the Big East title with Louisville, it’s a bit more of a risky bet.
- The top of the ACC is interesting here. Duke and North Carolina are both getting 20:1 odds, while NC State is getting 22:1 odds. A lot of people believe the Wolfpack are the best team in that conference.
- You hear it every year, but Gonzaga is very good this season and, at 60:1 odds, are worth the bet. The same can be said for San Diego State at 50:1.
- Butler, Minnesota, Kansas State and Marquette are all teams that will spend much of the season in and around the top 25 and are getting 100:1 odds on winning the national title.
- I’d stay away from UCLA at 15-1 odds until it’s clear if Shabazz Muhammad will be eligible this year. I also think it’s a risky bet even if he does play.
Michigan State: 15-1
Ohio State: 18-1
North Carolina: 20-1
NC State: 22-1
San Diego State: 50-1
Notre Dame: 75-1
St. John’s: 100-1
Texas A&M: 100-1
Kansas State: 100-1
Florida State: 100-1
West Virginia: 100-1
Seton Hall: 100-1
Iowa State: 100-1
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 8 Kansas loses, but The Andrew Wiggins Show is what’s important 1
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league 5
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy (6)
- Bracketology: Eight teams in play for No. 1 seeds (6)