Oct 16, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
I don’t gamble all that much, because when I do gamble, I’m normally left without any money rather quickly. When you’re simply giving money to the house time and time again, it’s really easy to make the decision to, you know, stop just giving away those hard-earned greenbacks.
But the good folks over at William Hill Race & Sports Books know a thing or two about gambling, and earlier this week they released odds on who will win the national title. Generally speaking, Vegas is just about as good of an indicator as the preseason top 25 when trying to figure out who the best teams in the country are. And, as you can see, their top three are no surprise.
I’ll post the complete list of the odds at the bottom, but before I do, I’ll give you a couple of picks I like, picks which my gambling record may make you want to avoid.
- Missouri at 30:1 is a steal. I think the Tigers are one of the most complete teams in the country and will end up earning another top two seed. I also think that Syracuse at 20:1 odds is a worthwhile bet, and while I think that Syracuse will end up contending for the Big East title with Louisville, it’s a bit more of a risky bet.
- The top of the ACC is interesting here. Duke and North Carolina are both getting 20:1 odds, while NC State is getting 22:1 odds. A lot of people believe the Wolfpack are the best team in that conference.
- You hear it every year, but Gonzaga is very good this season and, at 60:1 odds, are worth the bet. The same can be said for San Diego State at 50:1.
- Butler, Minnesota, Kansas State and Marquette are all teams that will spend much of the season in and around the top 25 and are getting 100:1 odds on winning the national title.
- I’d stay away from UCLA at 15-1 odds until it’s clear if Shabazz Muhammad will be eligible this year. I also think it’s a risky bet even if he does play.
Michigan State: 15-1
Ohio State: 18-1
North Carolina: 20-1
NC State: 22-1
San Diego State: 50-1
Notre Dame: 75-1
St. John’s: 100-1
Texas A&M: 100-1
Kansas State: 100-1
Florida State: 100-1
West Virginia: 100-1
Seton Hall: 100-1
Iowa State: 100-1
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015’s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)