Oct 17, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
NEW YORK, N.Y.–The Big East has reached a 10-year deal to continue hosting its conference tournament at Madison Square Garden in New York City, commissioner Mike Aresco announced Wednesday at the conference’s media day.
Wednesday’s announcement means that, despite rumors of a challenge from the ACC, Big East basketball will remain at The World’s Most Famous Arena. The deal adds six years to the current four-year deal that was set to expire in 2016.
The timing is key for the Big East, who is the middle of major television negotiations for the rights to its sports media, which will likely be the bedrock for the conference’s financial stability for years to come.
Syracuse and Pittsburgh will leave the Big East after the 2012-13 season, with Notre Dame reportedly beginning discussions to do the same in the near future.
To fill the void, the conference will be adding Memphis, Temple, UCF, Houston, and SMU to the mix, which gives them a presence in more major media markets than ever before, despite perhaps a downgrade in overall national recognition.
By adding Temple (Philadelphia), SMU (Dallas), Memphis, and Houston, as well as San Diego and Boise State in football, the Big East has boosted the possibility of football revenue and an increased value to the overall media deal it eventually signs.
And keeping basketball in New York City doesn’t hurt, either.
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 10
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot