Oct 17, 2012, 9:56 PM EDT
It looks like Davidson will be staying put in the Southern Conference.
Along with the College of Charleston, Davidson had been targeted by the CAA to change league affiliations to help offset the defections by VCU (to the Atlantic 10), Old Dominion (to Conference USA), and Georgia State (to the Sun Belt).
But as of Wednesday, it appears as if the Wildcats are staying.
At least according to SoCon commissioner John Iamarino.
Iamarino said he was informed Monday of Davidson’s decision by Wildcats athletic director Jim Murphy.
“He called me and said Davidson’s board had met Friday and determined that it would not be prudent at this time to change conference affiliations,” Iamarino said. “They have decided to remain in the Southern Conference.”
Iamarino also said he remains “optimistic” that Charleston will decide against the conference change. The school’s board of trustees is scheduled to meet on Friday to further discuss the issue.
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronkowski 'probably' needs back surgery, too
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness