Oct 17, 2012, 1:32 PM EDT
NEW YORK, N.Y.–Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim and Louisville coach Rick Pitino got into a war of words Wednesday at Big East Media Day in New York City, with each alleging that the other was “full of s**t” in regards their respective views on the Big East’s future members.
The argument centered around whether incoming members Memphis and Temple would be able to fill the void left by Syracuse when the Orange move to the ACC for the start of the 2013-14 season.
Rick Pitino believes they do. Jim Boeheim, not so much.
“Rick’s full of s***t if that’s what he really said,” Boeheim said, as reported by ZagsBlog.com. “If he was in the Big 12 right now like he wanted to be, he’d being saying the Big 12 is the best. That’s the bottom line.”
Pitino fired back in an interview with ZagsBlog.
“I think he’s full of s**t, and so we’re both full of it,” Pitino said. ”I think without question Temple and Memphis…Look, we’re going to miss Syracuse because they bring more than just a team. They bring the fans and Memphis and Temple can’t do that.
“But anybody who looks at where Memphis has been in the last 10-12 years, anybody who looks at the tradition of Temple and knows Franny Dunphy, would know I’m not full of s**t.
“If Temple played Syracuse 10 times right now, one’s gonna win six and the other’s gonna four. Syracuse and Pitt are two great teams.”
Pitino’s Cardinals were selected to finish first in the Big East in the official coaches’ poll released Wednesday, and are among the top five teams nationally.
Boeheim’s Orange are not far behind, picked to finish second by the coaches and among the top 15 in the nation.
The two will get their first shot at one another on Jan. 19, when the Orange travel to Louisville.
- Report: Emmanuel Mudiay gets huge deal to head to China 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)