Oct 17, 2012, 1:32 PM EST
NEW YORK, N.Y.–Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim and Louisville coach Rick Pitino got into a war of words Wednesday at Big East Media Day in New York City, with each alleging that the other was “full of s**t” in regards their respective views on the Big East’s future members.
The argument centered around whether incoming members Memphis and Temple would be able to fill the void left by Syracuse when the Orange move to the ACC for the start of the 2013-14 season.
Rick Pitino believes they do. Jim Boeheim, not so much.
“Rick’s full of s***t if that’s what he really said,” Boeheim said, as reported by ZagsBlog.com. “If he was in the Big 12 right now like he wanted to be, he’d being saying the Big 12 is the best. That’s the bottom line.”
Pitino fired back in an interview with ZagsBlog.
“I think he’s full of s**t, and so we’re both full of it,” Pitino said. ”I think without question Temple and Memphis…Look, we’re going to miss Syracuse because they bring more than just a team. They bring the fans and Memphis and Temple can’t do that.
“But anybody who looks at where Memphis has been in the last 10-12 years, anybody who looks at the tradition of Temple and knows Franny Dunphy, would know I’m not full of s**t.
“If Temple played Syracuse 10 times right now, one’s gonna win six and the other’s gonna four. Syracuse and Pitt are two great teams.”
Pitino’s Cardinals were selected to finish first in the Big East in the official coaches’ poll released Wednesday, and are among the top five teams nationally.
Boeheim’s Orange are not far behind, picked to finish second by the coaches and among the top 15 in the nation.
The two will get their first shot at one another on Jan. 19, when the Orange travel to Louisville.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)