Oct 17, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Kentucky freshman Nerlens Noel has been cleared by the NCAA and will be eligible to play for the Wildcats to start the 2012-13 season, John Calipari first told ESPN and other outlets have now confirmed.
Noel, considered by many to be the top recruit from the high school class of 2012, had been the subject of an ongoing investigation into his initial eligibility and issues concerning his amateur status.
For Calipari and the reigning national champions, this secures perhaps the most important part of their plan for a second straight NCAA championship.
Though Calipari has widely denied similarities, it is likely that Noel will work to fill the same role that 2012 No. 1 overall NBA draft pick Anthony Davis did for the Wildcats last season—a shot-blocking presence and anchor of the Kentucky defense.
After reclassifying from the Class of 2013 to the Class of 2012, Noel averaged 12.6 points, 7.2 rebounds, and 3.9 blocks per game as a senior.
The Wildcats begin their season on Nov. 9 at the brand new Barclays Center in Brooklyn against Maryland. Noel is expected to be in uniform for that contest.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 2
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)