Oct 17, 2012, 4:58 PM EDT
Just two weeks ago, Kentucky’s 2013 recruiting consisted of Derek Willis and … Derek Willis, a 6-foot-9 three-star recruit from Kentucky.
Today, Coach Cal added another his fourth five-star recruit to the class, as Marcus Lee pick Kentucky over Cal. And he learned just hours before Lee’s announcement that Nerlens Noel is cleared to play this season.
Not a bad fortnight.
Lee is a promising, 6-foot-10 forward whose strength is his athleticism. He really came on during this past summer and has the kind of potential that makes him a perfect fit for Coach Cal’s system. He’s got some perimeter ability, but where he excels at this point in his development is his ability in the paint. He blocks shots, he rebounds and he finishes around the rim. He’s similar to Willie Cauley-Stein in that his ranking (mid-20′s, depending on who you use) isn’t necessarily the best indicator of his upside.
Lee joins the Harrison twins and James Young in a class that is already one of the best ever, and still has plenty of room to get better. Julius Randle has yet to pick a school, and most believe that UK is a strong contender in that race. There is also Andrew Wiggins, who has yet to decide if he will reclassify to 2013 but is another kid that UK has in their sights.
- Report: Rutgers AD inflicted “mental cruelty” in her own coaching days 0
- Next college hoops season will begin and end in Texas 0
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 5
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?