Oct 17, 2012, 4:58 PM EST
Just two weeks ago, Kentucky’s 2013 recruiting consisted of Derek Willis and … Derek Willis, a 6-foot-9 three-star recruit from Kentucky.
Today, Coach Cal added another his fourth five-star recruit to the class, as Marcus Lee pick Kentucky over Cal. And he learned just hours before Lee’s announcement that Nerlens Noel is cleared to play this season.
Not a bad fortnight.
Lee is a promising, 6-foot-10 forward whose strength is his athleticism. He really came on during this past summer and has the kind of potential that makes him a perfect fit for Coach Cal’s system. He’s got some perimeter ability, but where he excels at this point in his development is his ability in the paint. He blocks shots, he rebounds and he finishes around the rim. He’s similar to Willie Cauley-Stein in that his ranking (mid-20’s, depending on who you use) isn’t necessarily the best indicator of his upside.
Lee joins the Harrison twins and James Young in a class that is already one of the best ever, and still has plenty of room to get better. Julius Randle has yet to pick a school, and most believe that UK is a strong contender in that race. There is also Andrew Wiggins, who has yet to decide if he will reclassify to 2013 but is another kid that UK has in their sights.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (5)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)