Oct 17, 2012, 4:58 PM EST
Just two weeks ago, Kentucky’s 2013 recruiting consisted of Derek Willis and … Derek Willis, a 6-foot-9 three-star recruit from Kentucky.
Today, Coach Cal added another his fourth five-star recruit to the class, as Marcus Lee pick Kentucky over Cal. And he learned just hours before Lee’s announcement that Nerlens Noel is cleared to play this season.
Not a bad fortnight.
Lee is a promising, 6-foot-10 forward whose strength is his athleticism. He really came on during this past summer and has the kind of potential that makes him a perfect fit for Coach Cal’s system. He’s got some perimeter ability, but where he excels at this point in his development is his ability in the paint. He blocks shots, he rebounds and he finishes around the rim. He’s similar to Willie Cauley-Stein in that his ranking (mid-20′s, depending on who you use) isn’t necessarily the best indicator of his upside.
Lee joins the Harrison twins and James Young in a class that is already one of the best ever, and still has plenty of room to get better. Julius Randle has yet to pick a school, and most believe that UK is a strong contender in that race. There is also Andrew Wiggins, who has yet to decide if he will reclassify to 2013 but is another kid that UK has in their sights.
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 3
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)