Oct 17, 2012, 12:06 PM EST
NEW YORK, N.Y.—Notre Dame is headed to the ACC and, now, the only question that remains is when that move will happen.
On Wednesday at Big East Media Day in New York City, Irish coach Mike Brey weighed in.
“I think the chances that we stay another year are higher than not,” Brey said. “My mindset is that we’ll play this season and next before we go.
“If something crazy happens, alright, but I think the trend is two more seasons.”
Brey shared a room Wednesday with two Big East member schools who are entering their final seasons before bolting to the ACC, Pittsburgh and Syracuse.
Both schools negotiated early exits from the league, paying $5 million each to bypass the mandatory 27-month waiting period and enter the ACC for the start of the 2013-14 season.
Reports were published last week saying that Notre Dame was in “very preliminary conversations” to exit the Big East early, following the precedent set by Syracuse and Pittsburgh.
Brey and the Irish enter the 2012-13 season after finishing 22-12 last season.
“I don’t think we’ve talked about it as ‘We have to win this before we go to the ACC.’ These guys are never going to play in the ACC,” Brey said, pointing to seniors Jack Cooley and Scott Martin to his right.
“This is their team as our captains, so for us to cut a net down at this Big East thing would just be a great accomplishment.”
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 12
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (12)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)