Oct 17, 2012, 7:07 PM EDT
Oklahoma State got some potentially damaging news this week as starting swingman Brian Williams is dealing with an injury to his wrist.
He’s “is pretty seriously hurt right now,” Ford said at Big 12 media day. “[He] will be out for a while, and that does not help our basketball team as far as rebounding. Brian Williams was one of the more athletic players in our league – 6-5, he was playing the three-four for us. He’s out for a while. We’re not sure how long yet.”
The reason this news matters for the Pokes is that one of their better players, JP Olukemi, is dealing with an eligibility issue and has not yet been cleared to play the entire season.
It’s an issue that stems from some unfortunate advice he was given before he made it to Stillwater. From NewsOK.com:
After Stoneridge Preparatory closed its doors midway through the year, the school’s coaches suggested Olukemi and his teammates take classes at nearby Riverside Junior College in California.
He never played basketball there, instead going to a junior college in Indiana to start his college hoops career before transferring to Oklahoma State after one season.
But those initial junior college classes, without his knowledge, started his eligibility clock. That was five years ago next semester.
It seems like a slam-dunk case. Olukemi is only asking for an extra semester, which, coincidentally, is the amount of time he missed at the end of last season after he tore his ACL. And a similar case involving Marshall’s Dennis Tinnon is a good sign for Olukemi. Tinnon also started his college clock early unintentionally, and was awarded an extra year of eligibility this summer.
But a slam-dunk case in common-sense doesn’t always mean that the NCAA will rule in the player’s favor.
Until then, Oklahoma State will be left to wonder just what their roster is going to look like this spring.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)