Oct 18, 2012, 1:11 PM EDT
On the heels of a 25-win season and an appearance in the Postseason NIT semifinals, much is expected of Derek Kellogg’s UMass Minutemen in 2012-13.
Led by point guard Chaz Williams and forward Terrell Vinson, UMass is one of the teams expected to be a factor in the Atlantic 10 race this season.
And just a couple weeks before UMass plays its first game of the season, Kellogg and the school came to an agreement on a three-year contract extension according to Matt Vautour of the Daily Hampshire Gazette.
Kellogg’s base salary is now $250,000 per year while he received a raise of $105,000 in the “other compensation” category to $415,000. The buyout should Kellogg leave for another job before the contract expires in 2017 is now $500,000.
There are also incentive clauses for accomplishments such as reaching the NCAA tournament, strength of schedule ranking and the players’ performance in the classroom.
“I just appreciate the school, (athletic director) John McCutcheon, to President (Robert) Caret, Chancellor (Kumble) Subbaswamy on down making a commitment to me and the men’s basketball program,” Kellogg said. “This is a place I want to be. I want to build the men’s basketball program into a consistent winner. This is a message that UMass is serious about men’s basketball and that the program is headed in the right direction.”
Four starters from last season’s team are back with 6-9 forward/center Sean Carter being the lone departure.
Williams and forward Raphiael Putney are the two returnees who averaged double figures last season, with the point guard leading the Minutemen with an average of 16.1 points per game.
Vinson and Jesse Morgan both averaged 9.9 points per game, and the return of forwards Sampson Carter and Cady Lalanne will bolster UMass’ interior depth.
With a new contract and a talented team, Kellogg could begin to reach some of those incentives sooner rather than later.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)