Oct 19, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
For Maryland, the start of the season won’t be easy. The Terrapins are slated to play the defending national champion, Kentucky on Nov. 9 to open the 2012-2013 season. To make matters worse, or uglier, Maryland will don the latest and maybe the oddest forms of alternate jerseys.
The game between the Terrapins and Wildcats will be played at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. For the occasion Maryland will wear gray, fake-wool like uniforms to honor of all teams, the Brooklyn Dodgers.
The alternate jersey fad has gotten out of hand in recent years, just take a look at the Mountain Dew inspired uniforms Baylor wore during the final stretch of the season.
But these uniforms don’t seem to make any sense. For starters, and forgive me if it’s obvious, but the Dodgers play baseball, not basketball. Also, the Dodgers haven’t held residence in Brooklyn since 1957, while the Nets are beginning their first season in Brooklyn, but that doesn’t seem to matter.
It’s no secret that Under Armour and Maryland sports, not just basketball, have pushed the envelope in the past few seasons. In 2011, the football team unveiled the ‘Pride’ uniforms, which include portions of Maryland’s state flag. The basketball team have already released their version of ‘Pride’ jerseys they will wear throughout the season.
Not sure these jerseys will be topped this season, either way the bar for outrageous uniforms has not been, unfortunately, raised.
(Photo credit: complex.com)
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)