Oct 19, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
For Maryland, the start of the season won’t be easy. The Terrapins are slated to play the defending national champion, Kentucky on Nov. 9 to open the 2012-2013 season. To make matters worse, or uglier, Maryland will don the latest and maybe the oddest forms of alternate jerseys.
The game between the Terrapins and Wildcats will be played at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. For the occasion Maryland will wear gray, fake-wool like uniforms to honor of all teams, the Brooklyn Dodgers.
The alternate jersey fad has gotten out of hand in recent years, just take a look at the Mountain Dew inspired uniforms Baylor wore during the final stretch of the season.
But these uniforms don’t seem to make any sense. For starters, and forgive me if it’s obvious, but the Dodgers play baseball, not basketball. Also, the Dodgers haven’t held residence in Brooklyn since 1957, while the Nets are beginning their first season in Brooklyn, but that doesn’t seem to matter.
It’s no secret that Under Armour and Maryland sports, not just basketball, have pushed the envelope in the past few seasons. In 2011, the football team unveiled the ‘Pride’ uniforms, which include portions of Maryland’s state flag. The basketball team have already released their version of ‘Pride’ jerseys they will wear throughout the season.
Not sure these jerseys will be topped this season, either way the bar for outrageous uniforms has not been, unfortunately, raised.
(Photo credit: complex.com)
- Norman Powell sees defense, rebounding as keys for UCLA 0
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)