Oct 19, 2012, 10:00 PM EST
For Maryland, the start of the season won’t be easy. The Terrapins are slated to play the defending national champion, Kentucky on Nov. 9 to open the 2012-2013 season. To make matters worse, or uglier, Maryland will don the latest and maybe the oddest forms of alternate jerseys.
The game between the Terrapins and Wildcats will be played at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. For the occasion Maryland will wear gray, fake-wool like uniforms to honor of all teams, the Brooklyn Dodgers.
The alternate jersey fad has gotten out of hand in recent years, just take a look at the Mountain Dew inspired uniforms Baylor wore during the final stretch of the season.
But these uniforms don’t seem to make any sense. For starters, and forgive me if it’s obvious, but the Dodgers play baseball, not basketball. Also, the Dodgers haven’t held residence in Brooklyn since 1957, while the Nets are beginning their first season in Brooklyn, but that doesn’t seem to matter.
It’s no secret that Under Armour and Maryland sports, not just basketball, have pushed the envelope in the past few seasons. In 2011, the football team unveiled the ‘Pride’ uniforms, which include portions of Maryland’s state flag. The basketball team have already released their version of ‘Pride’ jerseys they will wear throughout the season.
Not sure these jerseys will be topped this season, either way the bar for outrageous uniforms has not been, unfortunately, raised.
(Photo credit: complex.com)
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (4)