Oct 19, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
For Maryland, the start of the season won’t be easy. The Terrapins are slated to play the defending national champion, Kentucky on Nov. 9 to open the 2012-2013 season. To make matters worse, or uglier, Maryland will don the latest and maybe the oddest forms of alternate jerseys.
The game between the Terrapins and Wildcats will be played at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. For the occasion Maryland will wear gray, fake-wool like uniforms to honor of all teams, the Brooklyn Dodgers.
The alternate jersey fad has gotten out of hand in recent years, just take a look at the Mountain Dew inspired uniforms Baylor wore during the final stretch of the season.
But these uniforms don’t seem to make any sense. For starters, and forgive me if it’s obvious, but the Dodgers play baseball, not basketball. Also, the Dodgers haven’t held residence in Brooklyn since 1957, while the Nets are beginning their first season in Brooklyn, but that doesn’t seem to matter.
It’s no secret that Under Armour and Maryland sports, not just basketball, have pushed the envelope in the past few seasons. In 2011, the football team unveiled the ‘Pride’ uniforms, which include portions of Maryland’s state flag. The basketball team have already released their version of ‘Pride’ jerseys they will wear throughout the season.
Not sure these jerseys will be topped this season, either way the bar for outrageous uniforms has not been, unfortunately, raised.
(Photo credit: complex.com)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte