Oct 19, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Baylor picked up its second commitment in the 2013 class at small forward Ishmail Wainright verbally committed to the school (subscription required) as first reported by Alex Kline of The Recruit Scoop.
Wainright, a native of Kansas City who plays at Montrose Christian School (MD), chose the Bears over schools such as Ohio State, St. John’s and Texas.
Wainright is a 6-5 wing with long arms and a solid build, and his skills made Wainright a popular player in recruiting circles according to Montrose Christian head coach Stu Vetter.
“Ishmail is probably the most highly-recruited player we’ve had since Kevin Durant,” Montrose coach Stu Vetter said. “He has offers from all over the country – some of the biggest names in basketball – and deservedly so; he’s one of the best players in the country. He’s a facilitator and makes everybody else around him better, and he’s going to be an outstanding player for us.“
He joins center Jonathan Motley in Baylor’s 2013 class, and Wainright is skilled enough to crack Baylor’s rotation next year.
The Bears lose guards Pierre Jackson and A.J. Walton and forward/center Jamison Morgan after the 2012-13 season, and could also be early draft entries to consider.
With Justin Anderson (Virginia) and Michael Carrera (South Carolina) now in college, Wainright should be one of the leaders for Montrose Christian in his senior season.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)