Oct 19, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Baylor picked up its second commitment in the 2013 class at small forward Ishmail Wainright verbally committed to the school (subscription required) as first reported by Alex Kline of The Recruit Scoop.
Wainright, a native of Kansas City who plays at Montrose Christian School (MD), chose the Bears over schools such as Ohio State, St. John’s and Texas.
Wainright is a 6-5 wing with long arms and a solid build, and his skills made Wainright a popular player in recruiting circles according to Montrose Christian head coach Stu Vetter.
“Ishmail is probably the most highly-recruited player we’ve had since Kevin Durant,” Montrose coach Stu Vetter said. “He has offers from all over the country – some of the biggest names in basketball – and deservedly so; he’s one of the best players in the country. He’s a facilitator and makes everybody else around him better, and he’s going to be an outstanding player for us.“
He joins center Jonathan Motley in Baylor’s 2013 class, and Wainright is skilled enough to crack Baylor’s rotation next year.
The Bears lose guards Pierre Jackson and A.J. Walton and forward/center Jamison Morgan after the 2012-13 season, and could also be early draft entries to consider.
With Justin Anderson (Virginia) and Michael Carrera (South Carolina) now in college, Wainright should be one of the leaders for Montrose Christian in his senior season.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)