Oct 19, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Baylor picked up its second commitment in the 2013 class at small forward Ishmail Wainright verbally committed to the school (subscription required) as first reported by Alex Kline of The Recruit Scoop.
Wainright, a native of Kansas City who plays at Montrose Christian School (MD), chose the Bears over schools such as Ohio State, St. John’s and Texas.
Wainright is a 6-5 wing with long arms and a solid build, and his skills made Wainright a popular player in recruiting circles according to Montrose Christian head coach Stu Vetter.
“Ishmail is probably the most highly-recruited player we’ve had since Kevin Durant,” Montrose coach Stu Vetter said. “He has offers from all over the country – some of the biggest names in basketball – and deservedly so; he’s one of the best players in the country. He’s a facilitator and makes everybody else around him better, and he’s going to be an outstanding player for us.“
He joins center Jonathan Motley in Baylor’s 2013 class, and Wainright is skilled enough to crack Baylor’s rotation next year.
The Bears lose guards Pierre Jackson and A.J. Walton and forward/center Jamison Morgan after the 2012-13 season, and could also be early draft entries to consider.
With Justin Anderson (Virginia) and Michael Carrera (South Carolina) now in college, Wainright should be one of the leaders for Montrose Christian in his senior season.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final