Oct 19, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
Circle these dates on the calendar: Jan. 26 and Feb. 23.
If in-state rivals, North Carolina and North Carolina State needed any more motivation going into these two clashes this season, UNC senior guard Dexter Strickland provided it. On Friday, following practice, Strickland told Jeff Goodman of CBS Sports that he didn’t think too highly of the Wolfpack:
“They talk those guys up every single year and we beat them every single year. They are the least of our worries. Beat us one year and then they can talk smack. Until then, you can’t put them in the mix.”
The only problem with Strickland’s comments – who is still coming back from a torn ACL – is that N.C. State is already in the mix. On Monday, the ACC coaches picked Mark Gottfired and N.C. State as the preseason favorites. Duke was picked to finished second, followed by UNC.
However, Strickland does have a point here. This is the same N.C. State team that made it to the Sweet Sixteen, but only finished 9-7 in the ACC this season.
The 6-foot-3 shooting guard is perfect against Wolfpack in his career at Chapel Hill, but this season Strickland lacks the resources he has had in the past. North Carolina has to make up for the production of Kendall Marshall, Tyler Zeller, John Henson, and Harrison Barnes.
Roy Williams is going to need to rely on the potential that James Michael McAdoo showed a season ago, as well as depending on freshman Marcus Paige to run the show offensively.
Strickland also told Goodman that he will still be a defensive stopper on the perimeter, but he thinks he will look to score more this season:
“I feel like my role this year is going to be different. I want to get back to having the mentality I had back in high school, getting the the basket and creating for others. I’m still going to lock down on the defensive end, but I’ve been looked at as just a defender. They’re going to see a different player, someone who will attack the rim and score more.”
For the first time in decades, rivals North Carolina, Duke, and N.C. State are all expected to be contenders at the same time and Strickland has only added fuel to the fire.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)