Oct 20, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
Reeves Nelson’s defamation suit against Sports Illustrated and writer George Dohrmann has been dismissed by a Los Angeles Superior Court Judge, a press release announced this week.
“We have stood behind the reporting of our Pulitzer Prize winning writer since day one,” Sports Illustrated said in a statement. “We are pleased that after reviewing the case, the court agreed it should be dismissed.”
The suit stemmed from a March story by Dohrmann entitled “Not The UCLA Way,” which detailed the gossipy interworkings of coach Ben Howland’s program at UCLA.
Among the claims in the piece were stories of Nelson’s misbehavior, allegedly verbally and physically abusing teammates and even once urinating on a teammate’s bed.
Nelson had been dismissed from the team in December 2011 for “insubordinate” conduct, three months before the story was published. He eventually went on to play in the Lithuanian Basketball League.
He has since returned to the United States and is on the Los Angeles Lakers’ preseason roster.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 1
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)