Oct 20, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Reeves Nelson’s defamation suit against Sports Illustrated and writer George Dohrmann has been dismissed by a Los Angeles Superior Court Judge, a press release announced this week.
“We have stood behind the reporting of our Pulitzer Prize winning writer since day one,” Sports Illustrated said in a statement. “We are pleased that after reviewing the case, the court agreed it should be dismissed.”
The suit stemmed from a March story by Dohrmann entitled “Not The UCLA Way,” which detailed the gossipy interworkings of coach Ben Howland’s program at UCLA.
Among the claims in the piece were stories of Nelson’s misbehavior, allegedly verbally and physically abusing teammates and even once urinating on a teammate’s bed.
Nelson had been dismissed from the team in December 2011 for “insubordinate” conduct, three months before the story was published. He eventually went on to play in the Lithuanian Basketball League.
He has since returned to the United States and is on the Los Angeles Lakers’ preseason roster.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)