Oct 20, 2012, 12:06 AM EST
Late Friday night, Gina Mizell of The Oklahoman reported Oklahoma State head coach Travis Ford has announced that sophomore guard Brian Williams is out for the season with a wrist injury.
It was reported on Wednesday that the 6-foot-5 Williams was dealing with a serious issue when he initially hurt his wrist after a fall earlier in the week , as Ford talked about it at the Big 12 Media Day:
“is pretty seriously hurt right now. [He] will be out for a while, and that does not help our basketball team as far as rebounding. Brian Williams was one of the more athletic players in our league – 6-5, he was playing the three-four for us. He’s out for a while. We’re not sure how long yet.”
Kelly Hines, of the Tulsa World, reported that Williams will be in a cast for three months, followed by an additional month of rehab.
Oklahoma State will use a medical redshirt for Williams.
This is tough news for the Cowboys, as Williams was expected to play a big role for OK State. With his size and versatility, he was going to switch between positions and be asked to help crash the boards. As a redshirt freshman last season, Williams averaged 9.6 points and 3.3 rebounds per game.
The loss of Williams effects Oklahoma State even more because senior forward Jean-Paul Olukemi is dealing with an eligibility issue that could end his playing career after the fall semester.
According to a report by NewsOK.com (which was included in Rob Dauster’s post from Wednesday), the 6-foot-6 Olukemi was encouraged to take classes at a local junior college, while enrolled at Stoneridge Preparator, before he joined Oklahoma State. Without knowing, he had begun his eligibility early.
Only a week into the season and Ford and the Cowboys have several voids to fill before the opening game on Nov. 9 against UC-Davis.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)