Oct 20, 2012, 12:06 AM EDT
Late Friday night, Gina Mizell of The Oklahoman reported Oklahoma State head coach Travis Ford has announced that sophomore guard Brian Williams is out for the season with a wrist injury.
It was reported on Wednesday that the 6-foot-5 Williams was dealing with a serious issue when he initially hurt his wrist after a fall earlier in the week , as Ford talked about it at the Big 12 Media Day:
“is pretty seriously hurt right now. [He] will be out for a while, and that does not help our basketball team as far as rebounding. Brian Williams was one of the more athletic players in our league – 6-5, he was playing the three-four for us. He’s out for a while. We’re not sure how long yet.”
Kelly Hines, of the Tulsa World, reported that Williams will be in a cast for three months, followed by an additional month of rehab.
Oklahoma State will use a medical redshirt for Williams.
This is tough news for the Cowboys, as Williams was expected to play a big role for OK State. With his size and versatility, he was going to switch between positions and be asked to help crash the boards. As a redshirt freshman last season, Williams averaged 9.6 points and 3.3 rebounds per game.
The loss of Williams effects Oklahoma State even more because senior forward Jean-Paul Olukemi is dealing with an eligibility issue that could end his playing career after the fall semester.
According to a report by NewsOK.com (which was included in Rob Dauster’s post from Wednesday), the 6-foot-6 Olukemi was encouraged to take classes at a local junior college, while enrolled at Stoneridge Preparator, before he joined Oklahoma State. Without knowing, he had begun his eligibility early.
Only a week into the season and Ford and the Cowboys have several voids to fill before the opening game on Nov. 9 against UC-Davis.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)