Oct 20, 2012, 12:06 AM EDT
Late Friday night, Gina Mizell of The Oklahoman reported Oklahoma State head coach Travis Ford has announced that sophomore guard Brian Williams is out for the season with a wrist injury.
It was reported on Wednesday that the 6-foot-5 Williams was dealing with a serious issue when he initially hurt his wrist after a fall earlier in the week , as Ford talked about it at the Big 12 Media Day:
“is pretty seriously hurt right now. [He] will be out for a while, and that does not help our basketball team as far as rebounding. Brian Williams was one of the more athletic players in our league – 6-5, he was playing the three-four for us. He’s out for a while. We’re not sure how long yet.”
Kelly Hines, of the Tulsa World, reported that Williams will be in a cast for three months, followed by an additional month of rehab.
Oklahoma State will use a medical redshirt for Williams.
This is tough news for the Cowboys, as Williams was expected to play a big role for OK State. With his size and versatility, he was going to switch between positions and be asked to help crash the boards. As a redshirt freshman last season, Williams averaged 9.6 points and 3.3 rebounds per game.
The loss of Williams effects Oklahoma State even more because senior forward Jean-Paul Olukemi is dealing with an eligibility issue that could end his playing career after the fall semester.
According to a report by NewsOK.com (which was included in Rob Dauster’s post from Wednesday), the 6-foot-6 Olukemi was encouraged to take classes at a local junior college, while enrolled at Stoneridge Preparator, before he joined Oklahoma State. Without knowing, he had begun his eligibility early.
Only a week into the season and Ford and the Cowboys have several voids to fill before the opening game on Nov. 9 against UC-Davis.
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury