Oct 20, 2012, 8:47 PM EST
Remember ye oldenne days, when a coach took the first blue-chip recruit he could get at a given position, and then his safety backup guy would say “Oh well” and set his sights elsewhere so he could get his playing time?
Those days are still in effect for most of college basketball, but one man, John Calipari, seems to have the juice to keep options one, two, three and beyond on the string for as long as he’d like.
Calipari recently gained verbal assent from the Harrison twins — both premium wing players — then proceeded to get a ‘yes’ from James Young, making him the third perimeter player to join the Kentucky class of 2013. In similar fashion, the verbal commit given by forward Marcus Lee recently hasn’t dissuaded any other premium big men from looking at Big Blue, either.
Julius Randle’s mother says her son is still considering Kentucky even after the commitment of Marcus Lee and that he will commit in the spring as originally planned.
“We’re happy for the young man and his family,” Carolyn Kyles told SNY.tv Saturday in reference to the 6-foot-8 Lee, who pledged to Kentucky last week, becoming the fifth member of John Calipari’s 2013 recruiting class.
“That was their commitment [based] on what was best for Marcus. Great players complement other great players on their team. Julius and his family will talk in the spring and decide the best place for him. Nothing has changed his thought about Kentucky. He’s still considering Kentucky.”
Just what every other BCS coach in America wanted to hear. If this keeps up, we’re going to have to realign Kentucky into the NBA’s Eastern Division and repeal the age limit.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)