Oct 21, 2012, 5:08 PM EST
It’s been a tough couple of years for Steve Donahue at Boston College but the Eagles do have some young talent, most notably guard Patrick Heckmann and forwards Ryan Anderson and Dennis Clifford.
And on Sunday BC picked up its first verbal commitment in the 2013 class as shooting guard Garland Owens chose Boston College over Seton Hall as reported by MarylandHoops.net.
One of the questions for Boston College heading into the 2012-13 season is who can back up Heckmann on the wing, and that’s something the Eagles will have to address.
But in regards to 2013 and beyond, the 6-5 Owens is a player capable of helping Boston College out in that area.
Owens’ stock has risen since his decision to take a post-graduate year at Massanutten Military Academy, going from a player most pegged for the low- or mid-major levels to the ACC.
While Owens considered the three offers for a while, he decided to take the prep route and play out his summer on the AAU circuit with Mid-Atlantic Select. Owens has a late birthday and fits in with the Class of 2013 age-wise.
“From an age standpoint, we felt like he was young enough to take that prep year…and just to mature as a person,” Mid-Atlantic Select coach James Lee said.
“From a developmental standpoint, we felt he could use another year to let his skill set catch up with his athleticism,” Lee added.
Boston College is once again a young team, and that’s one reason why the ACC coaches picked them to finish last in the conference in their preseason poll last week.
But with just one senior (Harvard transfer Andrew Van Nest) and Notre Dame transfer Alex Dragicevich eligible next season, the Eagles have some young talent on which to build (freshman guards Olivier Hanlan and Joe Rahon will help out at the point).
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)