Oct 21, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
It’s been a tough couple of years for Steve Donahue at Boston College but the Eagles do have some young talent, most notably guard Patrick Heckmann and forwards Ryan Anderson and Dennis Clifford.
And on Sunday BC picked up its first verbal commitment in the 2013 class as shooting guard Garland Owens chose Boston College over Seton Hall as reported by MarylandHoops.net.
One of the questions for Boston College heading into the 2012-13 season is who can back up Heckmann on the wing, and that’s something the Eagles will have to address.
But in regards to 2013 and beyond, the 6-5 Owens is a player capable of helping Boston College out in that area.
Owens’ stock has risen since his decision to take a post-graduate year at Massanutten Military Academy, going from a player most pegged for the low- or mid-major levels to the ACC.
While Owens considered the three offers for a while, he decided to take the prep route and play out his summer on the AAU circuit with Mid-Atlantic Select. Owens has a late birthday and fits in with the Class of 2013 age-wise.
“From an age standpoint, we felt like he was young enough to take that prep year…and just to mature as a person,” Mid-Atlantic Select coach James Lee said.
“From a developmental standpoint, we felt he could use another year to let his skill set catch up with his athleticism,” Lee added.
Boston College is once again a young team, and that’s one reason why the ACC coaches picked them to finish last in the conference in their preseason poll last week.
But with just one senior (Harvard transfer Andrew Van Nest) and Notre Dame transfer Alex Dragicevich eligible next season, the Eagles have some young talent on which to build (freshman guards Olivier Hanlan and Joe Rahon will help out at the point).
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)