Oct 21, 2012, 10:04 AM EST
Tom Crean gave a hint after Indiana’s version of Midnight Madness last week, a hint that should be scary for the rest of the Big Ten and anyone with the Hoosiers on their schedule this season.
Answering a question about the skills competition, Crean went on to talk about his star returning sophomore, Preseason All-American Cody Zeller.
“Cody has a really nice stroke. He did last year,” Crean said in the post-even press conference. “I think he’ll continue to do more this year. We’re excited about his improvement because it’s all over the court.”
Zeller averaged 15.6 points and 6.6 rebounds per game and skipped out on the NBA draft to return to Indiana for another season.
If the upward trajectory continues for Zeller, the Hoosiers likely won’t have him around for his junior year, but the availability of his services for the 2012-13 season make the Hoosiers a national title contender to begin the season.
With his combination of size and mobility, Zeller was a threat last season when Indiana ran the floor, then was a force on the block in the half-court set.
If Crean is right about Zeller’s development of a consistent jumpshot, it gives Zeller the ability to step out away from the basket and further develops his offensive repertoire. That jumper, added to his ability to finish around the rim, could make him ready for a National Player of the Year-type season.
Indiana begins its season on Nov. 9 against Bryant.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)