Oct 21, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT
Tom Crean gave a hint after Indiana’s version of Midnight Madness last week, a hint that should be scary for the rest of the Big Ten and anyone with the Hoosiers on their schedule this season.
Answering a question about the skills competition, Crean went on to talk about his star returning sophomore, Preseason All-American Cody Zeller.
“Cody has a really nice stroke. He did last year,” Crean said in the post-even press conference. “I think he’ll continue to do more this year. We’re excited about his improvement because it’s all over the court.”
Zeller averaged 15.6 points and 6.6 rebounds per game and skipped out on the NBA draft to return to Indiana for another season.
If the upward trajectory continues for Zeller, the Hoosiers likely won’t have him around for his junior year, but the availability of his services for the 2012-13 season make the Hoosiers a national title contender to begin the season.
With his combination of size and mobility, Zeller was a threat last season when Indiana ran the floor, then was a force on the block in the half-court set.
If Crean is right about Zeller’s development of a consistent jumpshot, it gives Zeller the ability to step out away from the basket and further develops his offensive repertoire. That jumper, added to his ability to finish around the rim, could make him ready for a National Player of the Year-type season.
Indiana begins its season on Nov. 9 against Bryant.
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 14
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 9
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 71
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 17
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (77)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)